Economics/Bank Employees Transfer.

Question
Dear Prof Raza

In India, the Bank Employees are transferred from one branch to another branch. They get promotions in their Grade.

Is this Bank Business rule mandatory in all countries?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant,

No,this Bank Business in not mandatory in all countries. In fact, I don't think it is mandatory in India. It may be because serving in different branches people gather better experience about different localities and different environments. However, the overall ambiance of banking business centers more or less on the fixed norms and modes of business pursued by the bank. Besides, there are different types of bank. A commercial bank may more profit from transfer of officials, but a development bank, such as ICICI or IDBI, need not do better by instituting employee transfers.

In some countries in Asia, and also in Europe or America, there are some employees who continue in the same branch, especially the Head Office, and continue to get promotions. In Pakistan, PICIC (Pakistan Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation) or the Pakistani version of Indian ICICI, and in Bangladesh, Development Bank Ltd. or Bangladesh Shilpa Bank, have officials who remain in the same place (Karachi in Pakistan or Dhaka in Bangladesh), get promotions, and retire. Of course sometimes, some may go to other offices, not necessarily banks, on deputation and return. In PICIC transfer is very rare.

In North America, especially the new recruits often are transferred from branches to branches. This so happens because there are so many branches and also because similar higher positions may not be available in all the branches. E.g., one employee from TD Canada Trust working as Manager is transferred to a larger branch when he is promoted Adviser, because this position may not be available in the branch he had been working. Unless otherwise one works in the Head Office, he is necessarily transferred to the Head Office to rise to the high position of Chief Economist. Similar situations do prevail in American Express or Bank of America. This necessitates transfer.

Usually, however, international banks transfer employees from one country to the other, less as something mandatory but more as something prompted by employee interest and newer openings.

On the whole, in the context of globalized economies of the countries, transfers are becoming more common, even if not always mandatory.

I hope I have been able to give my opinion on this topic. This a very dynamic topic and there is always change in the methods of hiring, empowerment, and retirement. I wish you best for your further investigation into this very interesting query.

Economics

Eklimur Raza