Economics/Debit/Credit Combo card.

Question
Dear Prof Raza

Is it possible to design a single Debit/Credit Combo card?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hi Prashant,

Thank you for asking this question, and I believe there is some reason for posing this question.

First, customers are burdened with too many cards --credit card, debit card, gift card, master card, social security insurance card, and a host of others. It would indeed be better if we could reduce such card numbers.

Second, bank cards are as important as other master card, gift card, etc., that involves money transaction.

So, combining the features of debit and credit  in one single card of a particular bank would not be a bad idea. In this digitized banking system, it would not be difficult to design a combo. However, the reason why this is not yet common are explained below.

In the case of debit card, your money goes to the receiver instantly from your bank account, whereas in the case of credit card, you get a time period and you are billed for the amount (this also happens in case of master card).

If we use the same card and, say, the same password, then we would be required to select whether debit or credit.Once selected, the computer can place your request in that mode. And the transaction can take place.

However, while simplicity is devised for use of a single card, it may engender more confusion. Many shops do not entertain credit/ master cards. When you show your card, the check-out clerk would need to know if credit card or debit card and has to set the cash-in computer accordingly. So the work remains more or less the same for the shop.

Secondly, if you use the same password, there is more insecurity. It is easier to hack with one password than with two passwords. Credit card has some built-in security. Sometimes, if fraud takes place, because of the time required, often the amount to be paid may not necessarily be required to be paid, because there are ways of communications through which the problem may be sorted out and the invoice for payment may be void.

In the case of debit card, money withdrawal in instantaneous, and it is quite difficult to recover the lost sum. So it would be wiser to keep debit card separate with separate password. Now if you keep one single card, debit and credit, then you need to use different passwords on the same plastic card.This may be more confusing than keeping two separate cards.

The bank may also cancel your credit card for non-fulfillment of interest due, in which case your debit card number, etc., have to be changed. It may be more costly to the bank to maintain combo cards than separate cards.

To sum up, it would not be impossible to start a debit-credit combo, and it may even be the future plastic card, though at this moment frauds are taking place all over the world, including huge central bank fraud in Bangladesh, and so banks may be a little hesitant to introduce new complexity.

I hope this gives you some idea about the possibility of instituting debit-credit combo.

Best of luck.  

Economics

Eklimur Raza