Electric Guitars/Identifying BC Rich Bass

BC Rich Head
BC Rich Head  

BC Rich
BC Rich  
I'm wondering if you could help me identify my Bass. I'm not sure if this is handmade US or made in Japan or?

It is a hot pink NJ Series Bass with serial number R 3928 and its in great condition...a few small nicks.

Here are some pictures. This bass plays amazing however I am a guitar player and it never gets played so I'm thinking of selling it but have no idea what it might be worth. Really good bass players are always amazed at how it feels and sounds.

It came into my possession in the late 80's.

Big thanks in advance..

Hi David,

Thanks for your question. In the early 1980s, the BC Rich "NJ Series" guitars was started as an effort by Bernardo Rico to compete with the growing number of low-cost BC Rich copies that were being produced by others. Some have confused the "NJ" in the name to mean that the guitars were produced in New Jersey / America. They were not. They were made in Nagoya, Japan and imported to America.  

The early NJ Series models featured neck-thru construction and are considered by most to be fairly high-quality instruments. As time went on, they moved to a bolt-on design that has since been considered inferior to the American-made models Unfortunately, they do not compare in re-sale value to the American made models. I do not know of any reliable BC Rich serial # dating algorithm, so I cannot tell you the exact year yours was made.

In general, I would not expect to get much for this guitar. My suggestion is that you search for it on eBay, and see what the high-bids are going for. That will probably be your best barometer for what you are likely to get if you sell it.

Best Wishes,

Kevin Chisholm

Electric Guitars

Kevin Chisholm - American Guitarist

I am an American Blues / R&B / Soul / Rock Guitarist living in Europe. Live performance (Gigging) is my specialty. I have over 20 years experience performing.

I can answer questions about:

I cannot answer questions about: Vintage instruments, Midi, Pro-Tools

20+ years experience with live performance, international touring, Blues, Rock, R&B, Soul and Funk.

Syracuse University, Guitar Performance 1983-1987

Most recently, Big City Rhythm & Blues Magazine's "Artist of the Week"

The HEALERS!, Liz McComb, Justina Ogunlolu