Electric Guitars/Samick Greg Bennett guitars

Hi Johnny,

I plan on buying an electric guitar soon and until now, was considering between Squiers and Epiphones. Then I saw two Greg Bennett Samick guitars and was completely blown away by their specs and prices.

I have got a TR-3 for $230 and a Formula FA-2 for $200. Looking at the prices they are going for on eBay and Amazon, this seems like a steal, especially since both guitars are brand new.

I hadn't heard much of Samick guitars until now and did some research and they seem pretty reliable. I won't be able to get my hands on the guitars for sometime, so could you please let me know how they play, their quality etc.

Also, is the TR-3 vastly superior to the Formula? I love Telecasters but I suppose I can buy the TR-3 if its really good, considering its only $30 more.

Thank you so much!

Hey Vargab,

Thanks for writing! The Samick factory actually make guitars for Epiphone and Fender so their own brand name guitars are decent. I like the TR-3 a bit better than the Formula series. It is better made. I would still look at the Squier Telecaster because the TR-3 will come close to a Telecaster sound but not completely. Let me know if you need further information about Samick guitars. Stay in touch...Johnny

Electric Guitars

Johnny Genocide

I can answer questions regarding playing, guitar models, guitar construction, amplifiers, effects, starting a band, recording and touring. As the Guitarist and singer for No Alternative I have recorded a number of albums, singles and CDs as well as extensive touring. I can also answer questions about starting a band and recording.

I have been a guitar player for 26 years. I play and tour with No Alternative. With a number of CDs out there are also 14 bands that have recorded my songs.

Can You Hear Me, Live at the Deaf Club (With KGB) SF Underground, Subterranean Records (No Alternative) Backtracks, Subterranean Records (No Alternative) Lifeline/No Alternative, Bull Dog Records (No Alternative) Johnny Got His Gun, Wingnut Records (No Alternative) SF Nights, Bachuus Archives (No Alternative)

B.S., Organic Chemistry