Electric Guitars/Guitar input

Question
Hi Johnny,

2 guitars were donated to our Christian school in S Cal.
- Memphis, red, "strat copy" 3 single coil pickups, are having trouble keeping the guitar in tune to play it. If we use the "whammy bar" it goes out of tune right away. Is this guitar worth anything as a trade in? Is the guitar worth 'repairing"?

- Sammy by Samson, cream color, 1 humbucker, v shaped 3/4 size guitar. What is this guitar worth in a trade or sale? Is it a vintage collector's guitar from the 70's or so?

I'd appreciate any light you can shed on these 2 guitars. Thanks, Harry

Answer
Hey Harry,

Thanks for writing and Happy Holidays! Let's start with the "Strat copy." Normally, copy guitars come with cheaper tuners so they tend to go out of tune easily. However, before considering replacing the  tuners try this first. Loosen the strings until they are extremely slack (there is absolutely no tension and the strings are so loose they cannot be played. Then remove the tuner covers (the square caps that cover the actual tuner gears. Take a screw driver and tighten the screw that holds the big gear in place. Replace the covers. When tightening the strings (by turning the tuners) make sure the strings are wrapping neatly around the tuner's posts (the central post the strings wrap around). This may help. If not, you'll have to replace the tuners. As for value, these instruments are only worth a couple of hundred dollars each.

The Sammy is isn't worth trading in or selling but it is ideal for younger kids because of it's size. Both were made in Korea fairly recently. Let me know if you need more information. If you do replace the tuners, I can walk you through the process so you can do it yourself to save some money. Again, Happy Holidays and feel free to ask me as many questions as you want! Talk to you soon...Johnny

Electric Guitars

Johnny Genocide