Electric Guitars/Mesa Boogie F-50

hello, I have a Mesa Boogie F-50 and lately I have been getting some fairly light snap crackle and pop sounds from it. I have already tested unplugging other things in the house and also unplugging my guitar so it is definitely coming from the amp. it isn't constant and it isn't all of the time. it seems to be pretty random, which makes it quite the nuisance. what do you think it is? dirty pre amp tube prongs and sockets? or just noisy tubes or what?
any help is appreciated, thank you.

Hi Blake, first thing I suggest is that you plug the guitar direct into the amp bypassing any pedals you might be using. If the sound persists, then you've ruled out any pedals you might be using. After that, try changing your tubes. If your power tubes are old, change those first. (You should change them at least once a year depending on how often & how loud you play) The louder & more often you play, the more often you should change your power tubes. If after changing the power tubes it's still crackling, then try changing the preamp tubes. If after that it's still crackling, you'll have to bring it to an amp tech to check the main filter caps to see if they need to be changed. You can also try using a power conditioner to see if that helps, but it's been my experience that a crackling tube amp is usually tubes or caps. Hope that helps, if you need anything else, just drop me a line.
Peace - J.

Electric Guitars

Jason Fryer

Jason Fryer is a Canadian musician, producer, recording engineer & music instructor. Born in Montreal, Quebec, he attended the Musician's Professional Workshop on scholarship from Montreal radio station CHOM FM, studied Classical Music & Art at Vanier College, & holds a degree from Herzing Institute in Micro Computer Electronics. A veteran of the Canadian Music Scene, Jason has had the honour of playing with some of Canada’s finest musicians. Juno & Maple Blues award winning artists such as Jerome Godboo, Eric Shenkman, Jerry Mercer, Steve Marriner & Matt Sobb, Al Wood, Murray Kinsley, Leigh-Anne Stanton, Rod Williams, Thomas Starwalker Clair, David Maracle, Greg Morency, Scott Price, Simon Meilleur & Bobby Watt are but a few of the many Canadian greats Jason has enjoyed sharing the stage with. He has also had the rare & esteemed privilege to work with & study under legendary producer/engineer & former V.P. of Island Records Rob Fraboni. (Bob Dylan, The Band, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, Joe Cocker, Bonnie Raitt) Rob's generosity in sharing his vast & expansive degree of knowledge & expertise in the field of sound recording has been an invaluable asset to Jason's development as a producer & recording engineer.

I have been playing guitar for over 30 years & tour regularly with my band River City Junction. We play a mix of Blues, Jazz, Funk, Motown, R&B & Classic Rock so I can help answer any questions related to these genres as well. I also have extensive experience using many different brands of guitars, amplifiers & effects. I do most of my own work on my guitars, & I also build & repair my own pedals & tube amps, so I can help with questions of a technical nature with regards to these subjects as well.

River CIty Junction - Guitarist Tone King Records - Owner/Producer

Musician's Professional Workshop Scholarship (CHOM FM)
Vanier College (Classical Music - Guitar)
Herzing Institute (Micro-Computer Electronics)
Have taken numerous online courses in recording/engineering