Electric Guitars/Switching over to a new guitar

Dean Vendetta XMT
Dean Vendetta XMT  
QUESTION: Hello Kevin!
Greetings from India! I currently own a Dean Vendetta XMT (O10096247) which I purcahsed in April 2011, for 12,000 INR, or roughly 200 USD. I gradually found put that the Vendetta wasn't made for me, and I was wayy more comfortable playing a moreversatile guitar, like the Fender Squier Bullet Strat. I wanted to sell off my Vendetta and go for the Bullet Strat. Would that be a good move? I play all kinds of music, from thrash metal to RHCP and Eric Clapton stuff. Also, what would be the resale price of my guitar if I wish to sell it in the market?

ANSWER: Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for your question. I think that your Dean is a slightly better-made guitar than a Fender Squier Bullet Strat. But, the Vendetta XMT is really better suited for more aggressive styles like Hard Rock and Metal. If you want a low-cost electric guitar that can handle a broad range of style, I would recommend something more like the Fender Squier Vintage Modified Strat HSS:

(The bridge humbucker allows for Rock tones, but the two single coils offer flexibility with regards to other styles such as Blues, POP, Funk, etc...)

As far as the re-sale value of your Dean Vendetta XMT: Don't expect much. If you get anything close to what you paid for it, that would be great. This is not a high-priced instrument, so the re-sale value will be low.

I hope this was helpful. Please feel free to follow-up if there are any other questions you may  have.

Best Wishes,

Kevin Chisholm

QUESTION: Thanks for the detailed reply! Would the HSS model be better than the Dean? I feel that the guitar doesn't fit too well on my lap when I am in a sitting posture. Does the Strat fare better in that respect?

Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for your question. I think it's fair to say that there is no way I can tell you if one guitar will fit well on your lap than another. That is something you have to see for yourself.

As to which guitar is "better", the real question is: "better for what?" You mentioned that your taste ranges from thrash metal to Eric Clapton; that is a pretty broad range. I recommend the Fender Squier Vintage Modified Strat HSS for the following reasons:

1) I assume you need to keep the cost low, this guitar is under $300
2) The bridge humbucker allows for aggressive tones (i.e. metal, rock, etc.)
3) The single-coils allow for mellow tones such as Blues, funk, pop, Soul, etc...

Since that is the only information I have to go on, the Fender Squier Vintage Modified Strat HSS is the one I suggest you check out. If there are more variables to consider, such as certain pickups you want, certain neck woods, etc. then please share that information with me.

If you are happy with the Dean, then I think there is no problem to solve: keep it. If you are not happy with it, then you might want to try as many other guitars as possible to see how each one feels in your hands and how it suits your playing style.

Best Wishes,

Kevin Chisholm

Electric Guitars

Kevin Chisholm - American Guitarist

I am an American Blues / R&B / Soul / Rock Guitarist living in Europe. Live performance (Gigging) is my specialty. I have over 20 years experience performing.

I can answer questions about:

I cannot answer questions about: Vintage instruments, Midi, Pro-Tools

20+ years experience with live performance, international touring, Blues, Rock, R&B, Soul and Funk.

Syracuse University, Guitar Performance 1983-1987

Most recently, Big City Rhythm & Blues Magazine's "Artist of the Week"

The HEALERS!, Liz McComb, Justina Ogunlolu