Electric Guitars/1957 Electric guitar & Amp

Guitar ??
Guitar ??  
Mr. Smith,  I have a 1958 Electric guitar and amp I am trying to sell. It is my father-in laws and who is in a nursing home for the past eight years. He just turned 88 two months ago. The proceeds will go for funerals for him and his wife when the time comes. The guitar I do not believe is a Fender and it was repainted some years back when he still played. Some of that is worn off due to being used. The serial numbers on the neck plate (1)outside and (1)inside. Numbers**-25533 and 024203. It comes also with the case in good condition. The guitar is in good+ condition. The amp is a Valco serial number X70446 in fair condition tube type. I am looking for a value to start asking for them. I could e-mail pics if it would help. I realize the repaint hurts the price, and condition reflects the price too. Thanks for doing this.  Ken

Hi, Ken.  I reviewed the pics from the private e-mail you sent me; the guitar is a Fender Duo Sonic.  These are cool guitars, and while not as popular as the Strat or Tele, it's still a cool guitar.  The parts photos you sent were very helpful, as they make it appear that it really is a Fender and not just a project guitar.  It hurts a lot that the logo on the headstock has been removed and that the guitar was repainted (although it looks like a quality paintjob).  I'd suggest starting an asking price at about $700 and seeing if you can adjust from there (collectors sometime go higher and sometimes lower; you might have to work with it a bit).  I have to ask before going further:  did you find out more about your Valco amp?  It's actually worth more - I just noticed that you didn't include that info with your e-mail.  

Electric Guitars

J Ross Smith

Find at www.jrosssmith.com! Over 20 years of guitar playing, teaching, building, and modifying; have worked as a touring musician, studio session guitarist, engineer, guitar tech, and guitar teacher. Registered member of ASCAP. Registered member of Freelancers Union. I have a working knowledge of music theory and styles, and a taste for all types of music and instruments. If you have a favorite guitar player or style, chances are I share it! If you have a question I can't answer, I'll rely on experienced and knowledgeable people I know to get the correct information for you, and I hope I can help inspire your playing style and tone. Promo photography by Sebastian Castillo at Castillo Photography, San Diego, CA.

I hope that by answering questions thoroughly and giving insightful answers, I can have a positive impact on someone's playing style and tone - help them get their perfect sound.

American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers (ASCAP), Freelancers Union, IAVA (Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America).

See above!