Electric Guitars/Small amp problem

I've got one of those old Carvin PB-500 solid state bi-amped bass amps with banana plug outs for bridged mono, the amp still works bi-amped, but the female end of the banana plug got loose and broke off the wires from the actual amp itself on the inside, this happened once before a few years ago, and I was able to resolder it, but now there is not enough to reach, so ill have to replace that bit of wire and resolder it, I was just wondering if you might be able to tell me what kind of wire I'd probably need?

Hi, Alec!  I spoke with Carvin's amp service techs and we went through some schematics.  The schematics used at Carvin - particularly for your amp, which is quite old - do not list the gauges of wire used, only the connection arrangement.  We discussed that it's likely that Carvin (as with most large manufacturers) typically use the most cost-efficient wire that they can buy in bulk.  While the connectors themselves may be critical, high-end, the wire itself is usually just a cross-the-board type that serves its purpose.  Without being able to visually inspect the gauge myself, I'd suggest removing the existing wire completely and taking it to an electronics store (I love Fry's Electronics) so that service personnel can help you closely match the wire already used.  It should be readily available via spool at most large stores like Fry's and Radio Shack.  I hope this helps!

Electric Guitars

J Ross Smith

Find at www.jrosssmith.com! Over 20 years of guitar playing, teaching, building, and modifying; have worked as a touring musician, studio session guitarist, engineer, guitar tech, and guitar teacher. Registered member of ASCAP. Registered member of Freelancers Union. I have a working knowledge of music theory and styles, and a taste for all types of music and instruments. If you have a favorite guitar player or style, chances are I share it! If you have a question I can't answer, I'll rely on experienced and knowledgeable people I know to get the correct information for you, and I hope I can help inspire your playing style and tone. Promo photography by Sebastian Castillo at Castillo Photography, San Diego, CA.

I hope that by answering questions thoroughly and giving insightful answers, I can have a positive impact on someone's playing style and tone - help them get their perfect sound.

American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers (ASCAP), Freelancers Union, IAVA (Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America).

See above!