Electric Guitars/Estimated age?

Hey Johnny! I have an Electra 2245 sunburst with the "wave" headstock. From the little info I can find in my research, am I correct in assuming it's from 1975 to 1977? I came to this conclusion because I understand that the 2245 was made from 72-77.... and the wave headstock came out in 75. I am the original owner. My parents gave it to me as a x-mas present when I was a very young teen but can't quiet remember the exact year... thus my delima. I still have it in all original shape and in EXCELLANT condition, I might add...
Here are a few pics! Thanks for any info!   Joe

Hey Joseph,

Thanks for writing and happy holidays! I'd put the manufacture date around 1976. Prior to the "wave" headstock profile, Electra was producing very close copies to the Gibson Les Paul. Because companies like Electra, Hondo and a number of other manufacturers were cutting into Gibson's profit margin, Gibson successfully sued copy guitar makers, forcing them to adhere to the patent laws which demands that guitars could not be exact replicas of the originals. Electra made modifications to the guitar's headstock profile and body shape. Because they wanted the guitar to look as close to a Gibson Les Paul as possible, most companies made the major changes to the headstock (still maintaining the Gibson style without illegally crossing the patent law lines regarding design. Unfortunately, many companies, such as Electra, were not good with their booking keeping so dates can be off by 6 to 12 months. However, Electra was better than most when it came to serial numbers, etc. In excellent condition, this model is worth around $850 to $1,000 U.S. Dollars in the auction market which is primarily determined by companies such as Ebay. Electra made excellent instruments and are probably the best, outside of Tokai, as far as quality is concerned. Why did the lawsuit happen? Because Gibson was going downhill, quality-wise, and guitar players didn't want to pay the premium for a Gibson. Let me know if you need further information. Stay in touch...Johnny

Electric Guitars

Johnny Genocide

I can answer questions regarding playing, guitar models, guitar construction, amplifiers, effects, starting a band, recording and touring. As the Guitarist and singer for No Alternative I have recorded a number of albums, singles and CDs as well as extensive touring. I can also answer questions about starting a band and recording.

I have been a guitar player for 26 years. I play and tour with No Alternative. With a number of CDs out there are also 14 bands that have recorded my songs.

Can You Hear Me, Live at the Deaf Club (With KGB) SF Underground, Subterranean Records (No Alternative) Backtracks, Subterranean Records (No Alternative) Lifeline/No Alternative, Bull Dog Records (No Alternative) Johnny Got His Gun, Wingnut Records (No Alternative) SF Nights, Bachuus Archives (No Alternative)

B.S., Organic Chemistry