Electric Guitars/Hondo Deluxe 740 Mark II

Hondo 1
Hondo 1  

Hondo 2
Hondo 2  
Hey Johnny,

I've been trying to get info on this thing. I know where the Hondo company started, but what I wanna know is if my pickups are DiMarzios and/or the year on the instrument. I can't find any information on dating the serial number, but I've kind of decoded some of it.

Hondo guitars that had DiMarzio pickups were usually stamped as "HD....", but mine is an "HS". However, I think mine is a really old Hondo, because it has the Hondo gold logo and a lawsuit Gibson open-book headstock. It also has the trapezoid inlays as well.

I've attached the best pictures I have of it. Thanks for your time!

Hey J.P.,

Thanks for writing! You're right about the guitar being one of the older Hondo models. As you know, Gibson successfully sued a number of manufacturers of "copy" Les Paul guitars. Hondo, like the others named in the lawsuit, made the minimum changes to their copy guitars to stay within the legal guidelines set through the lawsuit. One of those changes was to the headstock profile and the removal of the Gibson diamond pattern from the face of the headstock. To answer your question I need to ask you for some further information on the two switches above the volume/tone knobs. Are these original to the guitar? Also, the tail piece looks like it was added on later. DO you know if it was. Let me know and I'll get you some information about your Hondo guitar. The tail piece is easily an add on or after market part but I've never seen those switches on a Hondo. However, Hondo did make some very limited production Les Paul copies so they could be stock which would add to it's value. Let me know and I'll answer your question. Stay in touch...Johnny

Electric Guitars

Johnny Genocide

I can answer questions regarding playing, guitar models, guitar construction, amplifiers, effects, starting a band, recording and touring. As the Guitarist and singer for No Alternative I have recorded a number of albums, singles and CDs as well as extensive touring. I can also answer questions about starting a band and recording.

I have been a guitar player for 26 years. I play and tour with No Alternative. With a number of CDs out there are also 14 bands that have recorded my songs.

Can You Hear Me, Live at the Deaf Club (With KGB) SF Underground, Subterranean Records (No Alternative) Backtracks, Subterranean Records (No Alternative) Lifeline/No Alternative, Bull Dog Records (No Alternative) Johnny Got His Gun, Wingnut Records (No Alternative) SF Nights, Bachuus Archives (No Alternative)

B.S., Organic Chemistry