Electric Guitars/Antoria Starmaker

QUESTION: Hi there, I saw one of your threads a while back answering a question on antoria starmakers and the fact that they were made in the same factory as Ibanez guitars and that they didnt date them prior to 1975. Ive got one but a tele shape, i've had it for years and I love it, can you tell me anything about the guitar? Would it have been made, lets say early 70's, i've had the neck & scratchplate off, there are no dates, no sticker on the back of the body or neck. The starmaker brand seems to encompass both Strat & tele bodies. Ive attached an image for you to view, there are now proper chrome tuning knobs on it now  :)

ANSWER: Hey Nicholae,

Thanks for writing! Antoria guitars were first made overseas at the Fuji factory in Japan. This looks like a mid 1970s/early 1980s model. The oldest models have a Fender Telecaster headstock that is very close to the shape of the original Fender. Later models, after Gibson's landmark court case against pirated guitars, have a slightly different headstock profile. You guitar is essentially a Telecaster without the Fender Label. Now, Fender has their Squier brand made at some o the same manufacturing sites that companies like Antoria had theirs made at. They used comparable woods for the body and a maple neck. Unfortunately, Antoria, like many other companies, didn't use a real serial numbering system. As for value, that is a tough call. I've seen them go for between $200 and $600 US Dollars. Let me know if you need ore detailed information. Stay in touch...Johnny

QUESTION: Thanks very much for getting back to me, much appreciated.

Yeah, I'd like to know anything you can tell me about the guitar, I know its not worth very much but it is a great guitar nevertheless & im going to hold onto it. There are no markings inside or outside to give a clue as to the year of manufacture, but would the starmaker badge on the headstock give a clue as to when it was made? If not, its fair to say it was made at the Fuji Gen factory say somewhere between 1975 & 81?

Hey Nicholas,

Thanks for writing back. Here's everything I could find on this manufacturer (someone else's words but all true): Antoria was a UK guitar brand, owned by the firm of James T. Coppock (Leeds) Ltd.[1] The brand name seems to date back to at least 1950, when it appeared in an advertisement in the journal Trade Show for Antoria Portable Gramophones and Record Changers.

In the 1950s Antoria Guitars were introduced into the UK from Japan, and played by the stars such as Hank Marvin and Marty Wilde. These guitars were made by Guyatone in Japan,[3][4] and originally imported by James T. Coppock (Leeds) Ltd and Charles Summerfield Ltd.[1] Some Antoria guitars may have been manufactured in Bavaria by Framus.[citation needed][5]

Antoria guitars from the 1970s were imported from Japan and have many similarities to Ibanez guitars from the same period, as they were made in the same factory as Ibanez guitars, FujiGen. The 1980s models were made in Korea. An Antoria acoustic guitar is clearly visible in Oasis's Wonderwall video.

James T. Coppock ceased trading in the early 1980s and Antoria guitar production ceased. Then, probably in the 1980s, John Lawson acquired the brand and distributed guitars using the name until 2006.

In January 2007, the Antoria brand was purchased by Adam Hall Limited, based in Southend-on-Sea. The new Antoria electric guitars are manufactured in South Korea, and new Antoria acoustic and electro-acoustic guitars are manufactured in China. So there you have it. Have a great holiday. Stay in touch...Johnny

Electric Guitars

Johnny Genocide

I can answer questions regarding playing, guitar models, guitar construction, amplifiers, effects, starting a band, recording and touring. As the Guitarist and singer for No Alternative I have recorded a number of albums, singles and CDs as well as extensive touring. I can also answer questions about starting a band and recording.

I have been a guitar player for 26 years. I play and tour with No Alternative. With a number of CDs out there are also 14 bands that have recorded my songs.

Can You Hear Me, Live at the Deaf Club (With KGB) SF Underground, Subterranean Records (No Alternative) Backtracks, Subterranean Records (No Alternative) Lifeline/No Alternative, Bull Dog Records (No Alternative) Johnny Got His Gun, Wingnut Records (No Alternative) SF Nights, Bachuus Archives (No Alternative)

B.S., Organic Chemistry