Electric Guitars/Amp Question

Question
Recently, my amplifier has been acting pretty strange. I've been playing on an Engl Screamer head for about four years, and I've replaced the power tubes twice--no problems. But recently, my amplifier has been making some strange sounds: it's been crackling and popping, picking up radio signals, and suffering from SIGNIFICANT volume drops. Every time I try to record the sound, I can't make the amp replicate the sound, so I tried to track down someone who had recorded the sound. If you'll go to this URL and listen to the audio link posted there, you can hear EXACTLY what I'm hearing from my amp (this guy's is a Peavey): http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=39144

I've replaced both my preamp and power tubes, so I know it's not the tubes. I don't even know where to start. The nearest amp tech lives about 4 hours away. I hope you can help me.

Thanks,

Matthew

Answer
Hi Matthew I heard that sound before, carbon based resistor plate loads are known for that exact problem. At this point I would do a cap job. This should fix it for you, look for bad solder joints when you are working on it. Good luck man let me know how it turns out.

Electric Guitars

DR Kevin P Moore