Electric Guitars/Hondo II LP

Question
Hondo II HLP
Hondo II HLP  
Hey there,
I've just acquired a Hondo II HLP-2B of which I already know a little regarding build/lawsuit etc. This one however has something I'm not seeing online anywhere - a plain font on the headstock - not the typical Hondo headstock font! I was told that it dates it to circa 1974 when Hondo had a battle with Honda about fonts. Could you add anything to the conversation?
Kind regards,
Chris (UK)

Answer
Hey Chris,

Thanks for writing! This guitar probably dates to 1974 because it is closest to the Gibson Les Paul in design. Hondo made a great number of minor changes of detail, such as fonts, truss rod covers, etc during the 1970s. Fortunately, this little changes add to it's value. As far as I know, there is no great reason for the font changes (unless some executive type at Hondo was simply bored and wanted to make some changes). The great thing about your Hondo is the diamond inlay pattern like that of the Les Paul. You don't see that a lot on the Hondo LP copies being sold on the used market today. Let me know if you need anything else...Johnny

Electric Guitars

Johnny Genocide