Electric Guitars/Univox Guitar

Question
Color version
Color version  

Original univox
Original univox  
Hey there Johnny - question.  I bought a Univox guitar from a friend back around 1981.  The plate on the neck where its bolted to the body says Japan and the serial number 141914.  It's came in a brown case.  Here's two pictures of it.  One is black and white to show the style of the Univox name on the headset (a cursive writing style) and then a color one showing overall style.  way back when I stuck a black/white checked shelf paper over the head stock and pick guard (which was cream colored).  I also painted the vol/tone knobs.  Pickups have been replaced.  The original ones were covered.  Now it has seymour duncan pickups.  I also replaced the machine heads with Sperzel locking tuners.  Wondering what year it is or any other info.  I think its a "Deluxe" and not a Gimme.  Thoughts?

steve

Answer
Hey Steve,

Thanks for writing! This particular Les Paul copy was most likely made right around the time of the Gibson lawsuit that shut down many manufacturers of Les Paul copies. The headstock profile is almost the traditional Gibson "open book" profile (the top of the headstock looks like a side view of an open book). I say almost, because your guitar has the rough headstock "open book" profile but is not as detailed as the Gibson. The Les Paul copies made in the early 1970s, prior to the lawsuit, exactly mimicked the Gibson profile. Towards the late 1970s, Univox changed the profile slightly. It does appear to be a Deluxe and was probably made between 1977 and 1979/80. Let me know if you need further information. Stay in touch and here is a link to a great site for guitar manufacturer information:

http://www.jedistar.com/jedistar_vintage_guitar_dating_u.htm

Check it out and feel free to ask any other questions you have. Again stay in touch and have a great weekend...Johnny

Electric Guitars

Johnny Genocide