Electric Guitars/Vintage Kay guitar

Promotional guitar
Promotional guitar  

Promotional guitar
Promotional guitar  
Alright Johnny, I have my dads old electric guitar which his dad got him from his work back in the 60s. The guitar was a promotional item offered by philco ford company and so far I have found an old ad clipping with my guitar in it. But other than that I got nothing, I'm curious as to the rarity of this guitar and also the potential value of the guitar. I love to play it so its not to sell, but no one seems to know anything about it. There is no serial number that I can find nor any writing of any kind, maybe you can shed some light for me...

Hey Blaze,

Thanks for writing! It is hard to find information about these models for a number of reasons. First, they were mass produced for catalog sales through companies such as Sears and Montgomery Wards. Second, companies in Japan were responsible for their manufacture so one Japanese company might me making the same model for three or four different guitar brands such as Kay or Teisco. Add to that the fact that model names, numbers, etc were not that important and you have trouble getting any information whatsoever! However, there is a building market of collectors who really dig the Japanese instruments which means they're growing in value. Your guitar was one of the many models that Kay used in promotional gigs, such as Philco. It was probably made in the mid 1960s.As for value, they can fetch anywhere fro $300 to $800 depending on the model of which Kay had hundreds. Sorry I couldn't offer more information but it is extremely hard to find. If I can find anything else out, I'll message you back...Johnny

Electric Guitars

Johnny Genocide

I can answer questions regarding playing, guitar models, guitar construction, amplifiers, effects, starting a band, recording and touring. As the Guitarist and singer for No Alternative I have recorded a number of albums, singles and CDs as well as extensive touring. I can also answer questions about starting a band and recording.

I have been a guitar player for 26 years. I play and tour with No Alternative. With a number of CDs out there are also 14 bands that have recorded my songs.

Can You Hear Me, Live at the Deaf Club (With KGB) SF Underground, Subterranean Records (No Alternative) Backtracks, Subterranean Records (No Alternative) Lifeline/No Alternative, Bull Dog Records (No Alternative) Johnny Got His Gun, Wingnut Records (No Alternative) SF Nights, Bachuus Archives (No Alternative)

B.S., Organic Chemistry