Electric Guitars/Hondo II 335 copy H935WA

I am buying this guitar for a very low price since it has a crack at te base of the neck. it is a Hondo II with a sticker that says H935WA but surfing a bit the internet I couldn't find any specific relation based on headstock, bindings and knobs.
I would like to know more.

thank you in advace

ANSWER: Hi, Elia:  Do you have a photo of the crack at the base of the neck?  I'm asking to determine whether this flaw is so severe that is would make the guitar a bad purchase.  If it's a set neck instrument, this could be pretty expensive to fix adequately and might make it a better idea to just get a different guitar.  If it's small and relatively shallow, it may not be such a big deal.  

I look forward to hearing from you!

neck crack
neck crack  
QUESTION: The neck should be already fixed (said a luthier around here) with no problem with the tension. I attached the picture anyway, but I just wanted to know more about the model and year maybe.

Thank you

ANSWER: Cool; thanks for the follow-up reply.  I'm not surprised to learn that you had difficulty finding information online; info on the Hondo guitars is rather scarce, particularly on serial number information.  Your guitar was likely produced in Korea between 1979-1982 time frame.  This was prior to a shift in Hondo guitars being produced in a Japanese factory and therefore increasing in price dramatically - pretty much the end of the company.  The lack of binding at the F-holes and the headstock leads me to believe that you have a regular model vice the "Deluxe" model that had additional binding.  It is most likely that your neck material is mahogany with a maple-laminate body.  

As to whether the neck is sufficiently fixed, I'd suggest perhaps taking the guitar to another luthier and asking whether they believe it to be in usable condition.  It's not the cleanest fix I've ever seen.  It may hold up but it's something to consider over time, as the crack could possibly widen with lots of use.

I hope this helps, and if any further information happens to my memory, I'll follow up and let you know!

QUESTION: I agree that it is not the cleanest fix. I tried the guitar, great (and huge) sound and I tried also to bend the neck and I found the guitar flexible (in the limits) but the crack did not move.
Do you think that 250 is a ok price?

thank you again

Sure thing, Elia!  Assuming that the rest of the guitar is in great shape, I'd say that's a pretty fair price.  It may not be a bad idea to try to get it a little bit lower; I've seen Epiphone counterparts to this 335-style guitar online for within 75-100 of this price range.  Considering it's used, perhaps you could get a slightly cheaper price.  In either event, it's not a bad deal.  Good luck!  And as always, if you have any further questions or run into any issues, feel free to ask!

Electric Guitars

J Ross Smith

Find at www.jrosssmith.com! Over 20 years of guitar playing, teaching, building, and modifying; have worked as a touring musician, studio session guitarist, engineer, guitar tech, and guitar teacher. Registered member of ASCAP. Registered member of Freelancers Union. I have a working knowledge of music theory and styles, and a taste for all types of music and instruments. If you have a favorite guitar player or style, chances are I share it! If you have a question I can't answer, I'll rely on experienced and knowledgeable people I know to get the correct information for you, and I hope I can help inspire your playing style and tone. Promo photography by Sebastian Castillo at Castillo Photography, San Diego, CA.

I hope that by answering questions thoroughly and giving insightful answers, I can have a positive impact on someone's playing style and tone - help them get their perfect sound.

American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers (ASCAP), Freelancers Union, IAVA (Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America).

See above!