Electric Guitars/Books on music theory and compostion?

Question
Greetings Dr. Moore,

More than half of my life I have been playing the guitar, but it has been brought to my attention that I hardly know about music theory and music composition. I can read music yet know nearly nothing about scales and modes (barely familiar with them). I just play along records, but I would love to compose my own tunes but am not familiar with composition and theories behind it.

Which instructional book(s) would you recommend for someone who is trying to learn about music theory and composition?

Thank you in advance,

Tetsu

Answer
Mr Tetsu I thank you for writing in. I have building guitars, fixing every kind of guitar and playing guitars but like you I never brother to take the time to learn how to read music. I was having too much fun to get smart about it. Most of the time here people want to know how much their guitar is worth.
I learn things on YouTube and watch a guitar players hand. I know common chords and scales. Should I ever get serious about music I would go to a local community college for a night class, I would need someone to explain it to me. I looked at books and I just left with too many questions.
The people at the library are real professionals and you are not the first one to ask where do I start to learn music. I hope that my suggestions will get you to the place you want to be. I envy your motivation sir and good luck.
Kevin P Moore.

Electric Guitars

DR Kevin P Moore