Electric Motors/Running an appliance designed for 50Hz on 60Hz supply
Peter Bell wrote at 2010-05-15 18:16:23
If there is a starting device, it must be embedded in the control logic box for the washing machine. However, I suspect that there really is no starting circuit - I think that the motor relies on initial oscillations to provide sufficient impetus to start it spinning. The connection to the motor is just one pair of wires which come from the control box and go directly to the motor. Within the motor, these two wires go to the 2-pole windings with only a thermal protection switch in series. I get the impression that a solid core rotor is used.
Before finding your response I found a suggestion elsewhere on the web:
"... if going from 50hz to 60hz then turns must go down being 50/60*"
Adopting this, I simply took 300 turns off the windings, reducing resistance from 180 to 160 ohms, without altering the wire gauge. In limited testing, it would appear that the pump is now functioning much better than before.
pandit108 wrote at 2014-09-20 16:12:34
Unfortunately the only answer given here is nonsense.
The motor does not feature a starter relay or run capacitor.
The very simple induction motors typically used on washing machines are very specifically designed for either 50Hz or 60Hz mains frequency.
If you attempt to operate the 50Hz pump on a 60Hz supply then it may fail to generate enough torque to start.
There are three possible solutions.
It may be possible to reduce the starting torque necessary by trimming down the blades on the impeller.
Although this may not reliably achieve the intended result i.e. it works for some models and not others.
Alternatively - try to source and fit a 60hz pump.
Alternatively - fit a 12V power supply and a small 12V to 50Hz 230V inverter (the sort that they sell to run mains equipment in a car) in series between the control board supply the pump and the pump.
In the end - I chose to do the latter.
That set up has worked for me for about 12 years, although at one point the inverter failed and I had to replace it.