Electric Motors/delco motor to be installed on existing conveyor

Question
QUESTION: I have a DELCO MOTER mo. #c2906 ser.k85. Is this a reverersable polairty moter? Thank you. Rob.

ANSWER: http://www.delcoremyhistory.com/unitedmotorsserviceparts.htm

So far, none of my old catalogs have a C2906  as a model,  it could be the model was built for an OEM    in other words it was built for a specific manufacturer,    

If you could send some photos,  I might be able to tell by looking at the connection end,  and the name plate,     

Delco made a lot of different types of motors,   and a lot of "series" motors  where the motor could be run on DC or AC,    if it is that type and you are powering it with DC,  it should reverse with changing the polarity of the DC supply to the motor,  if AC,  then some changes would need to be made,    but unless I find something on that C2906 only shot we have is some photos and hopefully I can tell from seeing it,

My shop is MEAR Services Inc,   816-650-4030,  repair@mearservice.com    we are located near Kansas City Missouri,   and always happy to talk over an issue over the phone or by e-mail     

motor
motor  
QUESTION: Sorry I took so long. Just learning these phones.I want to use this motor dor a clothes conveyor that travels in both directions. Will it work?

ANSWER: Don't get me started on these damn phones,      what a racket,     they come out with new applications but the phone needs an upgraded operating system     so instead of JUST THE RIPOFF of Microsmart,   by selling us Guinea Pigs a new operating system every year or so,  the damn phones need new hardware [a whole new phone and new contract]  to get the upgraded operating system,     

I am considering some kind of twine     let it vibrate between two cylinders of some kind,   that should work,       oh wait,    they done did that,    

Oh well,     

Your motor,    anything on the back of the cover plate?  Sometimes they engrave a connection diagram on there,     

I still cannot tell if the motor is reversible,    as it sits,   any motor can be made to reverse    but it might take getting into the winding and bringing the common out and taking the start off one run winding,   

That can sometimes be a 20 minute job,     or a two hour job,  

But I do see the normal Delco connections tabs,   and I see a jumper on two of them,    so that is a good sign but not an exact sign,       plus we have to figure out what tabs are what tabs,          cannot tell if they are numbered,       

Wish I could be more definitive, I can just tell you, it can be made to reverse if it cannot be reversed externally as it sits,      any arrows,  and thing on the nameplate that says CC or CCW  or anything like that?

As to the application,  if your line is not loaded with a lot of weight,  it could work,  

The problem with a clothes conveyor,  in most situations,  is the clothes come to a stop, and clothes can add up in weight,    so you need enough starting torque to overcome the dead weight,   like a flywheel,     plus you have to use some type of pulley/gear reduction to start or your conveyor is going to JERK when it starts,   and if the load is too great, the single phase motor will not be able to overcome the load,  and get it moving,    

If this is a commercial application,   this would be a perfect fit for a three phase motor,  which is much less expensive HP TO HP,  and then put a single to three phase frequency drive in front of the motor,      

You would have 20 to 30 parameters that are user adjustable, including, motor starting,  ramp up speed,  braking, torque settings, motor overload, ramp down, reversing,   all in one NEMA one enclosure or if you want on a chassis only,   

Often the difference between 1 single phase motor,  HP the same,  versus a three phase motor and drive is real close in cost,   and you have full control,     and not difficult to set the parameters,    

A conveyor application is a common motor application,  and normally uses a conveyor duty motor,  which means it has a beefed up rotor to handle the large amount of start,     

Got any engineering data on weight,  speed of the conveyor,  how you are going to stop it without coasting,   all that?

Just the words a generic clothes conveyer,  could mean you need a half horse motor or a 10 HP motor,    so while this motor might be sized for whatever you will be hanging and moving,   it might be undersized,      this I cannot tell you,    unless you have done some experimenting,  

Just keep in mind,   I am envisioning a conveyor that has a ton of clothes on it,  and getting it moving smoothly and stopped at the right spot  without a lot of jerking and swinging of the clothes.

Now if you are just talking something with a few shirts and pants and used to store them in a round about type fashion,   you could probably do that mechanically,     gears or pulleys,   

Remember that motor is going to take off like a race car,   and once the weight is traveling  it has to be stopped or it will coast,          

I love the idea of people thinking these kinds of things up, but the laws of physics sometimes are way more overwhelming than one would think,     

Got a motor shop around your area?  They should be able to tell you in about two minute is the motor is externally reversible,      from the photo  at least there is a jumper on the TOP of the spades,   that is encouraging,      but I cannot see numbers,     I see what I think is a start and run lead on one,   so the other end of the start will have to be swapped with the ends of the run, to reverse,         

Look around a little more,  for numbers,  ccw or cw on the plate, or a directional arrow,   anything that might indicate a fixed rotation,       

One more thing,  stops and starts per hour or period of time is critical,    different motors have different allowable stops and starts per hour     the motor is used as hard as it can be used on start,    if the motor is not allowed to cool    say it is 30 starts per hour,   that means you have divide the remaining time between starts,     

The initial build up of heat,  if not allowed to cool,  will overheat the rotor iron, stator iron,  and then the insulation,      plus it is very hard on the rotor,    motors are best suited to start and run,     the less starts the better,    plus the wear and tear on whatever contacts or switches that do the starting,     

But being a big ole Delco is in your favor,   they are known for building starters and rough start duty motors and machines,          

Let me know whatever else you can find out or maybe some more specifics on the conveyor itself,    how you will control it,  guess on weight of the clothes,    so on,   

I just have no idea how elaborate you are planning to be with this,    and hate to see you put  a bunch of time and money into something that throws the clothes off the conveyor everytime it starts,  or worse,  sits there and looks at you when you push go,      plus you need a reversing switch of some kind,  NOT instant reversing,     just reversing,    and those are complicate when you talk single phase,          

motor plate
motor plate  
QUESTION: This is just a motor that I found at a yard sale for ten bucks. The conveyor is all set upwith a switch that controls the direction has a gear reducing box. Last motor overloaded. They sold it to me said it would work then when it burned up said it was my fault. So I bought this one and am going to try it. Your aid is so nice to have. Having this avenue is amazing. You really seem like a great person. Any way one more time please.

Answer
Robert   as many times as you need,      OK  so you had this conveyor,   It had a motor and the original motor burned up     am I right so far?

What was the original motor?  Who said you burned up what and how?

The plot thickens,    you had an existing reversible motor,  but how did it reverse the motor,  not all motors reverse the same way,     but the first thing we need to do is find out why the original motor burned up,      if they said it was your fault then they knew enough to know what caused the failure and that is a lot to know,    I know few conveyor operators that can diagnose a motor failure,    

Do you still have the original motor?

What info was on it?    I need to compare the existing motor to this delco    the delco only tells me it is dual voltage and 3/4 HP,    nothing else,     

The existing motor could have been a totally different motor,    reversed different,   but if the first motor burned out,   and we do not resolve the reason,  what is to say the next motor is not going to burn out also?

This is typical,   motors are motors to most,  I understand,   but they are so different in one HP range you could have 20 variations of motor,    conveyors normally have a conveyor duty motor installed,    built with a high torque rotor,  built for conveyor duty,    not a typical off the shelf motor,     which might be the reason the first motor burned out, it very well could have been the wrong motor,    the seller stuck a motor on it,   you buy it,  it burns up, and now it is your fault,     I need the old motor info,     to start with

Electric Motors

Will