Electric Motors/460V motor, have 110V power

Question
Will,
I have the opportunity to purchase a used welding fume extractor/filter at a good price, my problem is that it's for 460V and I have 110V available power, is there an easy solution or I would be getting a headache instead of a bargain?

this is what I know:

Fan Power:      1,800 cfm
Motor Power:      2.0 HP
Voltage:      460 V

thanks much in advance.

G

Answer
George,

It is good you took the time to check prior to than asking how to deal with it after.

It is possible the unit is single phase 460 volts,  but more often than not, anything rated 460 volts is three phase.

If that is the case,   then you not only have to find a way to provide 460 volts but also three phase, from your existing 110 single phase.

It is not impossible,   a couple options are either a rotary phase converter or a static phase convertor rated for 2 HP, which is really more than just the KW   the HP rating assumes a motor or inductive load,   so it has to withstand the starting current of the motor.

Which also means the primary or input side,  will have to be beefy enough to provide that kind of power,     

There are some bargain barn type convertors out there, where the convertor starts the motor with three phase, and then lets it run at a convoluted imbalanced three phase, where the voltages will read something like  460 to 460 to 50 volts line to line to line,     

A fan application is probably the most likely to survive the unbalance,   I have seen them run compressors and SOMEHOW they manage to survive for maybe a year or even more,  based on usage,     

If it is three phase,  my advice is to pass,     if it happens to be single phase,   you can get by with a transformer,   but again you need 2HP from the primary 110 side, and most residential 110 is 15 amps.  

It would have to be one hell of a bargain,  three phase or single phase it is not going to be cheap to convert 110 to 460    and to add in converting or generating three phase is even more cost and wasted power just converting,   

I imagine it is industrial three phase rated, and the reason it is being offered at a bargain,

You could swap the motor out for a single phase,   but then you have to configure the controls and again,   you still have 2HP to deal with,    

I don't know what this device would be worth,  I understand what is,  but as to brand and model and age,   no idea,      

I think if you do some looking you can find something to do the exhaust and come rated for 110,   or at least 220,     if you have 110  somewhere you have 220,   a much better way to attempt to power up 2HP of motor load.

I would guess it has been looked at by potential buyers who understand this power issue and understand they could use 220  and cut the problem in half,   but even at that it probably draws so much current that is not practical,     

Wish I had better news,   sometimes a bargain is a just that,   but in this case in order to get it fired up, it is going to be an expensive route

If you want to write back with the details of the cost of a fume fan  and what you would be gaining in dollars    we could look into the cost of converting power,    but round numbers,  if you are not gaining at least $500 to a grand     probably best to pass,  

Electric Motors

Will