Electric Motors/Escalator Design.

Escalators, like moving walkways, are powered by constant-speed alternating current motors and move at approximately 12 feet (0.300.61 m) per second. The typical angle of inclination of an escalator to the horizontal floor level is 30 degrees with a standard rise up to about 60 feet (18 m).

1. Is the Angle of inclination of 30 degree standard to the Horizontal floor and standard rise of about 60 feet standardized in all escalator designs  while manufacturing ?. i.e. Can the Angle of inclination differ to 45 degree or standard rise to say 80 meters
or speed vary i.e.  2-3 feet (0.61 m - 0.91 m) per second ?.

2. Is the Load carrying capacity (weight of the Riders) in a escalator set to a maximum limit ?. i.e. Every Escalator designed
has a maximum load carrying capacity similar to a Elevator device ?

In this case, how safety of the passengers is ensured if overload happens ?. what is the overload protection mechanism
inbuilt within the escalator ?. As soon as there is a overload of
extra weight, the escalator device stops moving upwards (Step Up Motion) or downwards (Step Down Motion) ?.

3. In events of electric power breakdowns where escalator comes to a standstill, how passengers safety is ensured as they is a chance of losing balance while moving up or down ?. Is the escalator machine battery powered up in case of mains power failure ?.
Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Again  a lot of good questions but it will take me a while to get you just the basics  give me a few days and I will get you what I can  

Horizontal Auto-Walk
Horizontal Auto-Walk  

Thank you.

1. if a Comparison between Escalator and Elevator Systems is done in terms of  Manufacturing, Installation, Maintenance Costs, Escalators will
be more expensive (i.e. Cost incurred for Manufacturing, Installing and Maintenance) than Elevators ?

2. Can we implement Escalators in already built structures viz Shopping Malls, Departmental stores, Buildings, Airports, Metro Rails etc.

i.e. The Shopping malls, Departmental Stores, Airports, Metro Rails are already constructed sites and not a new construction site.

3. Do you feel Specific Sky walks if replaced by Horizontal Auto walks could be more useful for people flow ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Dealing with some personal issues my Mother in Law is in very serious condition,  and a long ways from here,    trying to decide when to or when to not make a trip is a problem,  but I will get back to you,  

I will say,   hydraulic elevators are limited in height,  [a few floors as they are nothing but a big hydo ram buried in the ground]

You get above a few stories and a hydro is not a good idea for an elevator,    

but same with escalators    they only go so far,  then you have to have a landing,    so however your design with the building fits is how you look at that,      considering escalators are faster but only go to one specified destination,        

I will get back  but right now I have some important things to deal with but you ask great questions and I appreciate it when someone is trying to learn  

Electric Motors

Three phase/ AC DC single phase motors, controls, any problems or failures, motor installation, performance issues, connections. All other electric motors/gearboxes/apparatus. Specialty repair concerns, obsolete motors and solutions. Other mechanical or specialty equipment. See my profile under Home/electrical at this site

30 plus years in the electrical motor and apparatus repair industry. VP level management of repair facilities, current owner of my own specialty repair and consulting firm.

EASA, IBEW [retired], other specialty organizations, Lubrication, Vibration EDI, Tribo-electric Councils

Currently fielding concerns at this site under "Home Electrical"

4 year technical, College level specific courses, EASA repair courses, vibration analysis electronic and electrical trade school.