Electric Motors/wireing

Question
I have a rockwell table saw with a 52-494 motor i would like to wire it up on 110 volts.The motor has a wireing diagram that refers to wires # 4,5 and 6 there are no numbers on any wires can you tell me which wire colors refer to these numbers.Or tell me color wires to connect together to do this.          thanks

Answer
Rockwell uses their own proprietary motor, for their tools, rarely can a user get the proprietary connection diagram or a cross reference for colors to numbers or colors to identify start windings and run windings,     however,  it can be done,    it is a process of that involves an ohm meter,   and many steps,          4,5,6 are more known for three phase motors than single phase, but there are 4, 5, and 6 on single phase,     

I need to know how many leads you have,   external,   how they are currently connected if they are,    if 6 is connected to 4 and taped or whatever that will give me something to go on that might shorten the process,      

We will have to identify the type of motor by the leads, if it is single or three phase, if it is a PSC or cap start or just what it is      

Sorry just not enough info here to even begin to get you started,       

If you want to send some photos through allexperts or if you want to send some photos of the NAMEPLATE and the connection box,     to my shop email it might be easier to send them there     versus going through allexperts,    at this point  you have made contact  so my shop email is repair@mearservice.com   attn  WILL      of course like allexperts there is no charge for us to look over what you have, and try to come up with a connection,     

First I need the amount of leads,  before you go buy an ohm meter, although a decent ohm meter can be bought for $6.00 or less at most any hardware store,  also called a multimeter, that has a selector switch to various test modes, and one of the modes will be ohms       we may have to measure the ohms between each and every motor lead,    to determine the values and then we hopefully can easily tell you what the motor is [single, three, PSC, Cap start, reversible, dual voltage, instant reversing, dual voltage single, dual voltage three phase, and a million more possible types]  Luckily a table saw motor is likely to be single direction, cap start, and dual voltage,       

Plus I need to know if this is a new used motor, or at least new to you,  if you ever witnessed it running,   and the nameplate  [if it has one]  information in the form of you taking the data off the data plate fields or even easier is to just get me a photo so I can look at it and see what it tells us,   plus some photos of the leads and this connection diagram that is missing the remaining numbers   other than 4,5,6

Many times someone will buy a motor for a tool,   but the seller has no idea what the motor is, and many who need single phase for a home shop end up with a three phase motor,    and because 4,5,6 is nearly always on three phase,  I need to know if you are familiar with this motor or starting from scratch,

Dependent on the saw,  a Rockwell saw can be very valuable or at least not a cheap tool, so it is probably worth putting some effort into,   

Worst to worst,   and this happens all the time,  if it is not a huge saw motor you can pack it in a box and mail it to me,     we will then megger the motor for insulation value,  figure out the lead configuration,  once that is done, we can power it on full voltage,   and see if it needs bearings, or a worn housing, or just what,      

I just have no way of knowing the history of the motor and that is important,   are we working with something that you are familiar with or is this starting from scratch?

We get these kind of issues all the time,  IF we can simply megger it and identify the leads then there would be no charge,   if we have to spend significant time figuring out what it is,  there would be a charge,    

Normally if we have to go inside the motor to look and find the connection to the windings, it will run right at $75.00

If we find other issues we will write them up, give you the importance of the issue, and give you a cost for each process or repair if needed,     then you can decide what you want to spend if anything,     

I would say half the motors we are able to identify and test run in just a few minutes plus you get a value of the insulation system of the motor to know if it is deteriorating, or just what it is,        

But first lets see if we can give you instructions by email from the photos or data you supply us,       some Rockwells have internal thermals,  in case the blade is stuck in a knot, and you have a short term overload that might trip,    some internal overloads  are separate from the power leads,  some are in series with the motor leads,  some are self resetting, some have a yellow or red button external on the saw motor to reset,      it just depends on which type and vintage of Rockwell you have,        

Again, it could be one of the lesser expensive saws, or a very valuable Rockwell,  in either case a Rockwell is normally no cheap tool,   but the last thing you want is a possible defective saw motor,     

We can also look at the rated current,   tell you the chances of a 15 amp home circuit holding the current,   or if it is dual voltage you might need to run it on 220 to a normal house circuit        you should have a starting device of some kind,    in front of the motor and after the breaker,  breakers are horrible in protecting motors,  they are too slow to react to very quick overloads,     so depending,  you should have some sort of starting or disconnect between breaker and motor,      never use a breaker as a switch,      

If the motor is a three phase,  and you are needing single phase, all is not lost,    depending on the saw,  if you do have a three phase, it might be worth investing in a vfd drive to use as a starter,  because they come in a plastic NEMA One, enclosure,  convert single to three phase power, and three phase motors are much better than single,     

A 1 HP to maybe 2 HP motor drive will run from $100 to $300  dependent,    I always look for a used surplus drive,   [we have a 30 HP drive on one of our lathes we converted to use a welding lathe,    these drives which are just programmable boxes,  have around 50 parameters, but are normally easy to setup on the built on keypad,       

I found a new surplus drive for this one lathe  30 HP  for $700   normally a thirty horse drive new will run $2000 plus,   so there are used, surplus and even new drives out there but sometimes you have to search,    

Again it will all depend on what kind and type and vintage of saw you have,      as to how much you want to invest in it      

but lets see if we can at least get it running,    by email     no way to know the insulation value,   you can get at least an idea from a very inexpensive multi meter   using the ohm scale from motor leads to frame,       it is better than nothing,      

Again send the data and even better photos to our shop email, use attn WILL Rockwell saw motor from allexperts in the subject line so we know where the email is coming from and don't dump it in the trash,         the 4,5,6  being the only thi ng you see on the connection really sounds like a three phase motor,    a three phase will use 4,5,6  for dual voltage,   

If wye wound,    the 456 will be connected together,   and taped off,   there will be six more leads    with 1-7 to line,  2-8 to line, and 3-9 to line,    that would be low voltage   

On high if three phase,  motor lead one is line,  motor lead 2 is line,  motor lead three is line,    then you take the remaining siz leads and connect 4 to 7,   5 to 8,  6 to 9  and tape each of those three connections off,    they are series jumpers for the high voltage connection,       

In single phase 4 is usually one end of a run winding,   5 is one end of the start winding,  and 6 could be about anything,   that is why it sounds at first glance you have a three phase motor,     but until we know more,  impossible to tell,         below is a previous answer with links to ROCKWELL  included   might be a help     :

Expert: Will - 7/5/2010

Question
Will,
I'm sure this is done somewhat frequently, but I couldn't find any info on doing it on the Delta website.
I bought an older Delta/Rockwell table saw, it has a 3 phase motor in it, so rather than buy a phase converter, at a cost almost as expensive as a new single phase motor, I bought a Leeson 2hp motor. Now, I'm not sure how to wire it up, do I use the existing "Furnas" starter panel and the On/Off push button switch or do I need another switch system. I would really like to use what's there, but I'm not knowledgable in motor control wiring. Can you please send a diagram using basic wiring terminology, or whatever you think is the best approach.
Thanks,
Justin Davis

Get the answer below

Answer
Fairly complex question as you are wanting to use a single phase motor on a three phase control system, I would have went the route of a static converter, which has not only overload and starting options built in, a three phase motor is much simpler, much less prone to failures due to the lack of internal switches and capacitors,  

But now that you have chosen the single phase, I can only send you what I have on single phase, as I know of no "conversion" methods for this type change,

please see:

http://sawdustmaking.com/ELECTRIC%20MOTORS/electricmotors.html#switching

http://www.usmotors.com/Connections/Connections.htm

www.icgst.com/acse/Volume6/Issue3/P1110615003.pdf

http://www.exman.com/ims.html

Once you become familiar with the starting of both, you may be able to interface the single phase to the controls that exist,

But if possible, I would encourage you to go with the converter, there are so many options and would make life for you much simpler, along with the reliability factors of three versus single phase,  

Add to this Answer
   Ask a Question