Electric Motors/rotation of electric motor

I work on a Hobart mixer 302SE. it look like the very old one. the electric motor is consist of stator with 4 wire out(Red,white,Blue,white) and the arrangement of connection in terminal is Red connect to live(+) white connect to neutral(-), blue and other white are connected to gather. rotor is a wind one and in the end there are 4 carbon brush position is 90 degree round the collector of rotor that by a metal ring connect together. this motor suppose to turn clockwise to turn the gearbox and eventually turn the mixer hock. before I do any thing the situation was as follow:
by turning on the motor the rotor was click right and left for a few second then start to turn either way. I checked the back of motor and see the carbon brush assembly is lose and turn with rotor.I fix the assembly and replace the missing brush.( during the click left and right some smoke was coming from motor but not a grate deal.) the motor turn anti clock wise my question is:
dose the brushes must be connect to any source of power at all?
how I can correct the turning direction.?
many thanks for your time and help.

That is based on an OLD repulsion induction motor,    those were made for very high torque applications and some are very very valuable not only as motors but as collectibles,      

They are the strongest AC induction motor type  period,      the smoke bothers  me,   

It has to mean something burnt  now was it serious    I dont know,

I think this Hobart is recent machine  with maybe a cheaper made repulsion induction motor,   the best bet is to find a motor shop  this is no regular motor,  but lets look at it anyway   and you tell me        there are a couple types of rep ind motors   some raise the brushes with a spring device some have the brushes on all the time    no the rotor is not excited by itself  see the link below it will show you   

When it starts in both directions that means the starting circuit is open letting the run winding follow whatever mechanical push in whatever direction  but wont get up to speed normally     

This motor is very complicated,

Look over the link above    if you are really good with mechanical and electrical maybe you start to diagnose this motor,  the brushes short out the rotor   then depending on the type of Repulsion Induction motor  there may be a spring loaded device that pushes the brushes off and on the rotor    the face of the rotor is like an armature        it has the segments so the brushes are contacting in a horizontal plane versus a vertical plane,   

Take a look at the link and then we will talk more

dose the brushes must be connect to any source of power at all?  NO  it does not need power like a slip ring motor
how I can correct the turning direction.?  by shifting the brush holder device   in a circular direction until you get the rotation you want,    there might be marks  somewhere if you look close enough  

Rotation  see the bottom link video    it is shifting the brush rack to change directions but the brush holder device has to be correct  the brushes seated flat against the commutator segments  and all springs working on the brush holder FIRST    

I need the motor data    if you have it   

The motor was made for Hobart,   so it is OEM to Hobart LONG LINK BELOW

more sites for hobart parts

YOUR questions are good but take a lot to type out and explain     look over these links and see what you think you have my personal address if you need it   VIDEO  VIDEO  

Electric Motors

Three phase/ AC DC single phase motors, controls, any problems or failures, motor installation, performance issues, connections. All other electric motors/gearboxes/apparatus. Specialty repair concerns, obsolete motors and solutions. Other mechanical or specialty equipment. See my profile under Home/electrical at this site

30 plus years in the electrical motor and apparatus repair industry. VP level management of repair facilities, current owner of my own specialty repair and consulting firm.

EASA, IBEW [retired], other specialty organizations, Lubrication, Vibration EDI, Tribo-electric Councils

Currently fielding concerns at this site under "Home Electrical"

4 year technical, College level specific courses, EASA repair courses, vibration analysis electronic and electrical trade school.