Electric Motors/convert 230 v motor to 110v

Question
I have FERM BGM 1003 inexpensive table belt sander about 2 years old.I'd like to bring it the states since it won't cost me anything.I was wondering if most of these made in china cheapo sanders etc. are designed to run on either 110 or 220 and can be easily modified by switching wiring contacts.There are no specs listed on the motor but on the side of the sander is a plaque with 230V 50HZ 375W s=30 min.My brother said most modern mass produced motors are convertable what do you think?

Answer
Can you get a run of 220 to where you would put this machine?  You could use a transformer,  but unless it is just a logistical nightmare,  I would try to get a 220 run like you were installing a new 220 dryer or appliance.

Now the motor could be converted to 115 volts, that would mean paralleling the windings,  how difficult that would be depends on how the manufacturer built the motor, but it is possible, the ONLY ONE CAVEAT is the 230 rating has the windings paralleled as many times as they can be already

Your one statement really summed it up,  CHEAPO,   which means you never know unless you look into the windings themselves,    just for reference  if you take it to a motor shop, it should take about an hour to get it apart,  pull up the top connections and make a determination,  from there about another hour to parallel it,  if it has enough circuits left to parallel.

Most of the time when a label says 230 single phase it is wound in series    but if I say it is     and it is not,   I cause you a lot of headache,       90% are wound in series,  but this will be one in the 10% that are not,   

The least expensive method should be to run a dedicated line,  that would be the best you can do,      

So do this,    run a tap off your main box  we have no amperage,   so use this:

http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/electric/Amp_to_Watt.htm

USE   1  ONE  as your power factor,      close enough    so  230 volts x X [amps] x power factor [1] = 375 watts   so if the voltage is exactly 230  and considering it is rated 50 cycle lets round up to 2 amps,   twice that at 115  4 amps,    

That might help you decide if you want to run a new 230 run or have the motor reconnected,  IF SOMEONE WOULD       

We would  but we are in Kansas City,  so only if you are close does that make any sense.

So first run you a jumper off a double pole breaker in your box,  borrow one from your dryer or anything you might have that is already 230,    you will need some way to measure the current  we use a clamp on amp meter,  but I would want to know exactly what the amps are,  and I would also like to know what the rpm is at the arbor.

Motors are all different,  with different amounts of slip,   [slip is the actual rpm measured at the shaft less windage and friction,  and any effect the applied voltage has on the motor if is different from the data plate,   some motors like higher voltage, some like lower,  but until you put in a real life situation,  you can be close but I like to KNOW      

So at least even if you have no double pole breaker to borrow,   for testing,   run it to a motor shop   a small one if you can find one,  they should be happy to throw it on a test bench,  put 200 to 240 or so volts on it,   [they should have a variable test supply]  they can tell you at 230 60 cycle it pulls X amps and the speed is X.

If we are not up against it     we usually just throw a machine like this up on the tester and it takes a couple minutes,  not worth writing up,   and then you know,   

It should fall easily within allowable circuit amperage,   either voltage,   so it now comes down to arbor speed, if it is too fast for you,  from the 50 to 60 change,   nothing can be done,  it is what is,    but go the least expensive route   motor shop,  jumper from your main,  whatever and find out,     before you spend money on transformers on anything else    

Write me if you have questions or run into problems.  

It says 230 volts 50 cycle  you will be using US 230-240 60 cycles

http://kakopa.com/60HzConverter/

No way to really know how the motor will react at 60 cycles and the empirical voltage that it will see is unknown unless you measured it  and even then say it is 216  we have no TOLERANCES from the manufacturer to know,

I would say it is free,  people run 50 cycle motors on 60 and vice versa all the time,   plug it in and try it,    it will PROBABLY RUN a bit faster,  but that may be no big deal at all  

Free    try it  

Electric Motors

Will