Electric Motors/Reliance Duty Master

Question
I have a lathe someone gave me that has an old motor:

brand: Reliance Duty Master
ID: 363025-1x
Type: CS
Fr 156
HP 1/3
RPM 3450
Volts 115/230

I would like to hook it up to AC, but I don't know which terminals to wire white and black to. It looks like L1 and L2 are the main terminals, but which is which?  The others 2,3 and 4 seem to be for jumpering if you want to run the motor CCW? I can't find a schematic.   I could buy a new motor, but I am stubborn and this old gear has sentimental value.  Any help appreciated-thanks, Vince

Answer
Vince,  black and white from the 110 volts AC has no effect on the motor,  it is ALTERNATING current not DC   so either way is fine.

2,3 4 are for dual voltage,    series is high voltage  and parallel is low,   if 2-3-4 are bundled together it is currently wired for "high" or 230 volts.

To be clear  L1 and L2 terminals are for the incoming power,   either way,  115 or 230  L1 and L2 are incoming line, and the motor does not care which is hot or neutral,  or in the case of high voltage either hot can go to either.

I have no idea how 2-3-4 are wired on your motor,  you are correct they are jumpered,  but to what I cannot say.

If you want to send a photo I will try and determine what is jumpered to what,  but the key is this   

If T1 and T4 are on line by themselves  that is high voltage.  If T1 and T2 are on one line and T3 and T4 are on line that is low voltage or parallel.

But as to how it is connected currently I need more information to tell you what voltage is wired for.

The frame size is probably scratched up, there is no 156 frame,     it might be H56 or I 56 but it is a 56 NEMA frame.  IN case you go for a new motor  no one will understand 156   they will understand 56 frame.

The CS is for capacitor start, the rotation may well be fixed, either CW or CCW  but the nameplate does indicate it is dual voltage,  again  L1 and L2 are for incoming power and with AC as opposed to DC it makes no difference which , black or white is put to L1 or L2,  it WILL make a difference as to what voltage the motor is wired for.

Electric Motors

Will