Electric Motors/Lelend Motor

Question
I have a Leland Motor, Style RD, Frame 39,voltage 230,rpm 1725,amps 8.0, phase1. Do you have any idea where you can find brushes for this motor. Everything is fine on the motor except spring loaded brushes. Would appreciate any help with this

Answer
Pat,  Leland used to be known for making very special and powerful replusion induction motors,  along with straight DC motors,      the springs are always critical,    if they have lost tension over the years,   incorrect brush spring tension has the built in issue of arcing and even destroying the commutator,    past that,  seating the brushes is critical,     they must be seated to the radius of the commutator   full contact or there is a built in loss of ability to transfrer current,      

This is a 39 frame  pretty small to be repulsion induction  so I am guessing you need two brushes and likely two springs,   maybe the springs are still fine, but often they heat and cool and after time cannot hold the needed pressure      so you need to make sure the brushes are still in operational shape,     how to do that,   well you can get some idea by just feel,  common sense,   if you compress by hand and they seem weak   they most likely are,   

If you search the internet  you can a rough idea of the pounds per sq inch needed,   

You must read this short pdf    

http://www.helwigcarbon.com/images/brushholderbrochure.pdf

Now as to obtaining the brushes     

IF you get lucky   some hardware stores stock brushes   Westlake is one,  mostly used for power tools,  but grade and composition is risky  ,,,,,,,,,,,,

The sure way,   the only sure way,   is to send a sample brush,  and the spring to Helwig Carbon Products,        not sure if that pdf has contact info,       

Let me get you that too  :

http://www.helwigcarbon.com/

Here is how this will work,    

First call the number at Helwig,    sometimes by nameplate data only   they can reference and identify the needed brushs and springs,      

That would be again if you get lucky,    

But if they can identify by data,   and the brushes are a STOCK SIZE  you might get away with only having to buy two brushs  or two of each,    

You need to get calipers or mics, and get as accurate as you can the length, dimensions, of the holders and the brush itself,,,

But you have a worn brush  so how long was it new?

3/4 of the entire brush holder  is rough   

But read the pdf first it will help you understand,  \\

Next  not identified,  sending in the brush with the complete data plate data,    

If the brushes are stock,  again luck,   they will have a minimum sell of I think $50 retail,  

You could send to me  but the cost of you sending to me,  me to them,  so on,  is normally as costly or more, than just paying the minimum,   but pay the min by buying  3 sets or whatever or however it works out,   if the two are $20  get two or three,  sets,    

You will have to decide the value of the motor, the configuration it is used in,  and can you just get another entire motor,    how it connects  all that I would have to know that,  

Just a belted application,   maybe an AC motor might work,    

Another thought   it might be a series motor, a type of motor that is found in drills and tools,  where the fields are in series with the armature and the load controls the rpm,  but I cannot find any Leland info readily this small,      

I THINK style RD is replusion induction,   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/290902067167?lpid=82

Above is EBAY  and all the risks of EBAY apply,   Amazon has brushs,    but you will have to search by size first then makeup,     a bit of research    might be a cheap out,  

Above is an example only    

FYI:

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?p=268072#268072

These guys still deal in fractional motor parts:

http://www.cityelectricmotor.com/products.html

Worth a call they might be able to identify by nameplate data  

another option:

http://www.plccenter.com/en-US/Search/Advanced?Manufacturer=LELAND+FARADAY&Descr

or

http://www.plccenter.com/Brand/LELAND%20FARADAY

Be careful with EBAY

Now once you decide the brush is available and cost is reasonable,   if you have new brushs and springs by nameplate,  the commutator is worn down,  so the new brushs will not have the same radius as the worn commutator,     

NOTE  IF THE COMMUTATOR has a brownish/black band around it    leave it alone!

Shiny is not good in this application,  brushs leave a film on the surface of the commutator,

This film is a lubricant for easing the friction and wear,  and conduction,  

A nice brown film is often sanded off     do not remove the film   

If you have the motor apart,   take the armature,   get some very fine sand paper   NO METAL PAPER      invert it so the rough side is up and cut to width  tape to and around commutator,

Hole the new brush against the surface at the same angle of the holder or if there is room  put the brushs in the holders and tape on your sand paper,   rotate the armature and sand in or seat in the brushs for full contact      blow off with compressed air,   

New identied brushes and springs no need to worry about pressure,   pressure can be measured with a fish scale,  4 lbs sq inch is rough pressure for larger motors,  somewhere in that area is fine,  what you dont want is   1 lb    too weak,    arcing and then problems,

Finally  if the brushes stay down on the commutator you have a DC motor or a SERIES motor,   if AC is currently being supplied to the motor without a rectifier, then it is a SERIEs MOTOR       

If the brushes "lift" from the commutator at a certain RPM  it is Repulsion Induction   

If the brushes mount to a commutator where the brushes are mounted horizontal inward that is a Replusion Induction motor,    

I cannot find if TYPE RD is absolute Repulsion Induction,     

You can send me some photos  and if you have it apart even better,    

I can identify a lot from photos,     

Any wedge shape brush likely RI  motor,     

Replacement brush can be sanded straight on any dimension to fit,  no slop, no friction in holder when done  must slide up and down holder without restriction,  

You can get a brush SEATING STONE   white in color,   if motor is together,  and no access to commutator,  take sanding stone,  hardware stores or electrical supply  store,  take the stone rub against file,  build up small pile of seating dust,  drop a que tip size amount of dust down holder  rotate shaft,  insert new brushes  rotate by hand   repeat    remove brush   inspect surface for effect of sanding    this is a down and dirty way to get this done,   it might take two times or ten,   depends on the new to the diameter of the comm  NOW   over time the brushes might wear in,   just depends on the amount of difference,  the dust of the seating stone will help,   

Best method is to get armature out and compare brush to comm shape  visual   

Sending to Helwig will get you exact brushes  but cost may be prohibitive       if you look at the links     one that supplies new used Leland motors,    some go new for $79  but not being sure of what you have,   LELAND was big on oem stuff,   so nameplate might not identify as a general duty motor,     

Make sure you get in range pressure and as close to 100% contact to comm     

A lot to it, more than most understand,   I have watched for example a motorcycle starter generator    new brushes installed,   old springs used,  arced up comm and ruined entire unit,     it is not a simple replacement part,   it has to be mated to the WORN size of the existing commutator,    

If you want send photos,  if it is a realive inexpensive motor   you might get an idea from one of the links above,    it might not be worth the fuss,     but MANY OLD LELAND MOTORS  REAL VINTAGE LELAND ARE either collectible or wanted    tough old motors,       

Let me know after you digest all of this  

Electric Motors

Will