Electric Motors/GE Motor Help

Question
GE Motor
GE Motor  
I recently picked up a GE ¼ HP reversible motor to use for small jobs around the shop. I noticed the cord was removed but figured that wasn’t a big deal. Famous last words!
Upon removing the rear plate it appears that someone had made some modifications that are beyond my “knowledge base.” What do I need to do to make this a usable motor?
All I want to do is be able to plug it in and reverse the rotation if necessary.

The motor number is 5XBG00GB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answer
Joe,  Well the famous last words continues.  I cannot explode the photos enough to get a clear read.   Second,  a GE motor model might get rough data but rarely or ever allows drilling down to a connection.

You had really good angles of the photos,   it may be me,  I just had to put 8.1 on this PC and it is still a confusion to me,   but I have seen photos like this before and was not able to blow them up with out distortion.

I need the nameplate data and the photo into the connection block was good also.

So the motor says it is reversible,  that is really the only way to know,  if it says reversing or rotation CW  CCW        .

What I could get and this is the best I can do right now with what I have  is two yellow leads out the motor, and one blue.

You are also correct,   someone made some modifications.  I see what looks like connections below the recommended oil, which means you have sleeve bearings not ball bearings.

Even if a motor is reversible,   it is not "instantly reversible".  YOu will need at least a drum switch, or a three position switch  with center off.

It appears the original idea was to run the motor with a yellow on line [110 volts]  [either line makes no difference to the motor] and the other line gets the other yellow and the blue.

If they did what I think,   then the blue with a yellow gives you one direction,  and by swapping the blue to the OTHER YELLOW gives you the other direction.

The reason you need a center off switch  be it a drum switch or center off switch,  is the motor must come to a full stop before reversing,  if not and the switch puts power to the opposite direction while the motor is still rotating in the beginning direction,   you will apply dynamic braking to the motor,   when starting up in the opposite direction.

The motor might take that load a few times,  10 times. 40 times or one time.

Sonner or later it will kill the motor,   that is why it must come to a complete stop, before changing directions.  For example if you had this on some kind of pipe auger and wanted to jog the head through some kind of clog,   this is really the wrong motor.

So no instant reversing,    reversible is misleading,   always has been,   

Reversible sounds like you can go both directions, at anytime,   but the truth is  it really means you can pick the direction  for whatever application,  and leave it there,     

If you want to swap directions for the process,  you need an instant reversing rated motor.

Now you can get away with it,  if you can stand the time for coast down,  full stop,  a short rest,  and then going the other direction.

You will need to decide if that will be good enough before going through all the wiring and configuring of the EXTERNAL reverse switch.

First we just to see if it will run in any direction.

Look here:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=141847 photo #2

As for now,  will it run with both yellows one to each 110 line, and the blue with either yellow?  Again it matters not which one,  AC motors only care what the voltage is to the windings, polarity is AC so it switches 60 times a second .

That is the first thing to check.

Next I need to have those photos larger.  Not sure why they wont blow up clear but they wont.

That is probably enough for you to digest for now,    get back to me with the photos again,  you can use my private email it should be below,   put something like allexperts reversing motor  as the subject line.

Then try the yellows with the one blue tied with either of the yellows,    actully it is easier to talk with this if you label one yellow T1  the other T2   and let's call blue T5.

As you will see in the link I sent,  the three lead motor diagram,   it has three leads but there are three colors,    Why they used one color for two leads not sure,    

But to make easier  it does have three points,     

If it IS what it looks like,   

T1 and T5  LINE    
         First direction        
T2 and     LINE  
.........................................................................................
T1 and     LINE
         Second direction
T2 and T5  LINE  

After you try that let me know what happens,   The ground to THE FRAME is the bare earth ground wire just like a three wire plug for 110 volts.

Again black and white or whatever you have on the 110  MAKES NO DIFFERENCE    you need whatever the voltage is on the nameplate,  110 to 120    you use your 110 plug outlets.

Get back to me after you digest this and let me know if any of this makes sense,  I am going on only what I could see from the connection photo and your description at this point in time,      

Remember this motor is reversible  but NOT INSTANTLY    a very common misunderstanding, and misleading confusion.

Most people,  and it is easy to understand why,  see reversible       and reversible is reversible,    the small print explains that reversible means either direction as a choice in sort of A GLOBAL setup,      

Reversible only allow a motor to fit an application that needs to go CCW or CW  as a fixed rotation once that is determined,      

Again to be reversible "on the fly"  you need an instant reversible motor or be willing to wait between changes in direction.

This should get you started.  I could be clear off, at this point,  but I see nothing else that I can chose from.

Will  

Electric Motors

Will