Electric Motors/Motor Wiring For 3 Wire 220V Cap motor

I have a wood shaper with a 1 ph 220V ( 0nly ) 3 HP motor with a capacitor on the outside.  It has 3 wires coming out of motor housing to the connection box + ground connection.  They are colored red, black and white + ground lug.
When I purchased this machine I never wanted the magnetic thermo cut off on off switch, the rev / stop / fwd  switch or the motor so I removed all 3 pieces.  
The only wires I removed where the red, blk, wht, and the green ground from the motor connection box that is fastened to the motor body. These 3 items were put aside and never used.
Now years later I have decided to put things back together.  Bolted everything in place and ran the wire from the reversing switch into the motor area .  Remember only 3 wires + ground, green was removed.  I put R to R, Blk to Blk, and W to W and green to gnd lug.  Will in forward she just hums and popped the overload in the switch..  In Rev she runs forward, clockwise.  I switched wires around and can rev what I said above,  I can rewire and have rev going forward and forward going rev for approximately 5 seconds then pops overload in on / off switch.  Can not get forward to be forward and rev to be rev even for short time.  Seems crazy to me as all the wiring on the on/off  and the reversing drum type revolving was never touched.  Of course if it ever worked from the factory we can never tell.  Thank you kindly.  
P.S.  I have a funny feeling that one of the wires coming out of the motor is from the cap and is going to the reversing switch to be combined with one of the windings in the motor for start up ???
Thank you again.

Sounds like it was wired off, start    not reversing,   it takes the ends of  both the start winding and the run windings to reverse     if you had two runs and one start,   then the only way three wires would work is with one end of the start winding center taped in a fixed connection internally  then you could swap the left over start with either run for a direction,      

Can you ohm it out and tell anything?   Can the two runs should have a circuit and the other "start' would look like this       run winding  RL1........... center  ...........RL2
         start winding          *................SL

Much like a PSC permanent split capacitor motor,   normally there are four,  both starts and both runs,      above would be the only way I could see it reversing

would be direction one    RL1 to line    with SL   

Reverse          RL2 to line    with SL         and high voltage as the start winding would be 115 center tapped off the run,

Take a look at these drum controller diagrams and see if any of these help,    but you have to swap both starts or both runs with either or for reversing,  in a non PSC type motor,  and then again on high voltage,   

In the explanation below he is speaking of run T2 and run T3  as the center of the run winding for dual voltage,

Only three poles are required to perform both the motor controller and disconnect functions.

First, you have to decide whether you are going to reverse the run winding or reverse the start winding.

Usually, it is best to reverse the start winding, as this makes conversion from 120 to 240, or from 240 to 120 a little easier.

Let's say your drum switch (Furnas, for example) passes through the L1 and L2 on the outer two poles, and the reversing is done on the inner pole.

Connect T1 to the drum switch terminal which corresponds to L1 and T4 to the drum switch terminal which corresponds to L2.

If the desired voltage is 240, then connect T3 to T2.

If the desired voltage is 120, then connect T3 to T1 and connect T2 to T4.

That connects the run winding, which is not reversed.

Now, for the start winding, assume the wires are labeled T5 and T8 (this varies quite a bit).

For 240 volts, connect one start winding wire to the junction of T3 and T2 (the start winding is always operated on 120 volts, even if the motor is 120/240 volts), and the other wire to a remaining drum switch terminal.

For 120 volts, connect the start winding wires to the remaining drum switch terminals.

Above is from the link below,

Or it was simply never wired to reverse as you thought,   Note  when you get it to run in both directions but opposite of the printed directions and it runs in both directions   then trips out,  it sounds like the start is not coming off the line,    what voltage?    What current?

Can you provide the ohmage between the three colors ??    If it is center taped  for high 23O only then the center tapped start lead should by manual connection  run with the single start to one run,  then the other,     and the ohms would show that pattern,   such as   R to B 100 ohms      w to either R or B   50 ohms      [I just plucked ohm numbers out of the air not applicable   only to explain what you might find,   as a reading   an over all  total  then half the over all total from the center tap to either end of the remaining two]   

Try it manually  if you cannot make it run manually in both directions   then something need s to be changed    and it was just wired for on off     but I would think in that case  they would just use a single starter,          let me know what you find after looking over the diagrams and descriptions of connections,  

Electric Motors

Three phase/ AC DC single phase motors, controls, any problems or failures, motor installation, performance issues, connections. All other electric motors/gearboxes/apparatus. Specialty repair concerns, obsolete motors and solutions. Other mechanical or specialty equipment. See my profile under Home/electrical at this site

30 plus years in the electrical motor and apparatus repair industry. VP level management of repair facilities, current owner of my own specialty repair and consulting firm.

EASA, IBEW [retired], other specialty organizations, Lubrication, Vibration EDI, Tribo-electric Councils

Currently fielding concerns at this site under "Home Electrical"

4 year technical, College level specific courses, EASA repair courses, vibration analysis electronic and electrical trade school.