Electric Motors/Home Portable Generators and Electrical Motor damage

I am interested in a portable backup generator for my home.

Many generator manufacturers advertise that they can save on fuel consumption by automatically reducing the throttle control on the generator until additional power is called for.  This causes a delay between the electrical motor inside the home that is trying to power up and the time it takes the generator to throttle up to supply that power.  This can cause damage to the electrical motor in the home (refrigerator, computer, furnace, etc.).

However, from all of the technical articles that Iíve read about this issue; they are all talking about large industrial size motors.  Although the issue applies to any electrical motor, I canít find any information as to how bad it might be for your typical home use.  One manufacturer that Iím interested in doesnít use this throttle control in their home generator product line for this reason.  But their generators are more expensive and then there is the fuel consumption issue.  This has become a real catch-22 for me.  But since many manufacturerís use this throttle control feature, I have to wonder how risky it really is.  Is this a real risk for electrical motors in my home?

Thank you,

ALL that is a bit confusing,     here is the deal,   motors that start from a dead stop or locked rotor will use 4 to 10 times the full load rating of the motor,  so the generators feeding a motor load, will idle down while not needed for motor inrush   simply to keep the fuel use down on idle,   for home use you can get as complex as you want,    

But for a backup unit,  which hopefully and inevitable will be short term use,   I would not worry about idling down while on backup use,ac       the generator has to come to enough speed and time to get any motor or inductive load started   so for a backup   I would go with without the more complex down idle   just more to go wrong  and again it is a backup,         

YOU might look into a battery storage building and various methods of charging that battery pack or building   solar, wind,  whatever,     then inverting it when needed,        

Other than that for a straight backup gen set     go with the most economical you can use for a backup,    

I mean backup like unexpected power failure short term,  not a survival type unit,   long term,   

Hope that helps you out,      a backup gen should have an auto start   fireup on need,  and idle while in use,  

to reduce real dollars while running a typical backuo  idle down to below output range is not going to save much unless you are building a power plant     

If the use is typical power out backup   short term    figure your best deal that way    transfer switch is a nice thing to have,         but a pro should install to keep generated power from your unit   hurting a line man   repairing your service,          than have them decide on what options are available   and the costs   but overall  a backup is just that   a backup  

Electric Motors

Three phase/ AC DC single phase motors, controls, any problems or failures, motor installation, performance issues, connections. All other electric motors/gearboxes/apparatus. Specialty repair concerns, obsolete motors and solutions. Other mechanical or specialty equipment. See my profile under Home/electrical at this site

30 plus years in the electrical motor and apparatus repair industry. VP level management of repair facilities, current owner of my own specialty repair and consulting firm.

EASA, IBEW [retired], other specialty organizations, Lubrication, Vibration EDI, Tribo-electric Councils

Currently fielding concerns at this site under "Home Electrical"

4 year technical, College level specific courses, EASA repair courses, vibration analysis electronic and electrical trade school.