Electric Motors/Carrier motor

Question
QUESTION: Hello Will blessings to you my friend. I have an old Carrier  3PH explosion proof horizontal motor. The problem is that the tag is gone and I don't know what HP it is. There are two castings on the case. One reads 9-22-64X just to the right bottom of the front. The other casting is 1X48-01 which is on the back side. The output shaft is 1 1/8" Can you help me? Thanks in advance for your reply!

ANSWER: Three phase with a 1 1/8 shaft diameter  

most carrier compressor motors would be 4 pole or 1800     best guess from here,   the casting numbers meaning nothing and might just be that   casting numbers,      Really need the center shaft height to help narrow it down  but we really are guessing by shaft diameter and assuming it is four pole or 1800 RPM        

1.125 shaft size is common to  213u [3hp]  not pre nema  frame    215u not pre nema [5hp]    254u not pre nema   

nothing in 3600 shows up in any of those,    some slower speeds  around 3 to 5 hp show up as pre nema   but if it was a compressor motor most are 1800 a few 3600 but later on in 5 and 7.5 hp

then if you get in modern T frames there are some but this sounds like an old pre u motor    normally they stamp the u   but with no plate   ???

Is it footed?       if it has mounting feet   send me the cc bolt holes parallel to the shaft      the cc bolt holes across the motor,  and the center shaft height while sitting on a flat surface      with feet I can get you pretty close to the exact frame   but it may fall into different RPMs         sure this is XP    there are machine fits that are way deep for flame paths   what tells you it is xp?

sorry cannot do anything with the casting numbers but if you send me the dimensions    then maybe we can get close,   

its almost bound to be 3 to 7.5 hp  but that is one hell of a range to be guessing at    

QUESTION: Blessings to you my friend Will. Thanks for the response! The height of the shaft sitting upright on the table is 13 5/8" Yes it is footed. The cc of the shaft parallel is 5 1/2" and the cc perpendicular to shaft is 7 1/2"    3/8 holes, end of shaft to first set of holes is 5 1/2" how can you tell the HP? Is there a method of seeing the amperage pull? We are using 460 3 PH power. Is there some sort of mathematical equation of sorts? Thanks again my friend.

Answer
WOW 13 5/8 inches from the surface to the center shaft line??!!!!

That is a big motor  in motor world most anything above an 11" D dimension  the shaft height is normally considered either a medium voltage motor  2300/4160 volts or a very slow motor  probably less than 900 RPM if not more

I probably did not explain the D height  it is from the bottom of the feet to center of the shaft,

Now it might be 13 5/8  if it is to the center of the shaft  it is OEM to Carrier  

NEMA would be a 14 inch D   anything else is going to be very special  so I am guessing it is 14 inches

The mounting holes parallel to the shaft is the 2F     the holes across the motor are the 2E

So if you want to search on your own just look up NEMA three phase frame dimensions and use process of elemination   

So we look for a 14 inche   d  then a 5 1/2   2f   

When looking at motor charts  beware   the cross dimension is given as an E  which is half way to the shaft  the cc parallel is given as 2F   so if it says e is 5  double it in your case 3 3/4

And nothing is matching,  the most standard motor goes into 400 series  which the largest  a 449T   modern  can go up to 400-500 HP  

But with that 1 1/8 shaft we know that is not it,   

Yes you can get a ballpark amperage by using a wire chart for LEAD WIRE  it should be stranded  

But you can hopefully get close  then use something like a HYPALON lead wire chart   so say the conductor size is .250  approx  that will convert to a wire size   the wire size will convert to a max allowable amperage       say that is 25 amps    now you know the motor at 480 volts at full load would be X HP  

Thats where I start with no name plated motors  so I get in the ballpark

How do we know for sure it is 480?   I am thinking this is old enough it is probably rated 440 if it is in that voltage class with three leads only   then with the shaft at only 1  1/8  that is going to limit the hp  largest 1 1/8 shaft was like 7.5 hp but very slow

Can you lay a large digit ruler as straight as you can  and take some photos?  Stand it up  lay it across the top of the motor,  so I can see what this thing looks like,  ??

Unless I confused you we got something very special or again I just confused you on what measurements I need,    this thing could have a very short duty cycle rating also   

You probably can't use a mic to measure the stranded lead wire   

http://www.electro-wind.ca/suppliers-pdfs/Belden/Belden-Shielded-Cable/belden-te

use tables three and four   again   this is backwards  normally it is designed to know the amps and then select the lead size   in this case we know the lead size sort of  but not the amps   and with old used leads it is an approximate  but you can get damn close  it sure wont be a 22 or a 2/0   probably somewhere near a 10 guage lead or 8 guage  by the shaft size

sure would like to see some photos   might help me figure out where to focus  

Electric Motors

Will