Electric Motors/install fwd rev switch on 3 wire 240v motor

Question
I have a milling machine that I had to replace the fwd rev switch but being a very old machine I couldn't get the same switch. The motor has 3 wires coming out of it a capacitor and is 1 phase 240v. I have tried connecting this switch a number of different ways and I can get it to run in one or the other direction but when I switch to opposite direction the motor tries to run but just sits there and hums until the overload trips out. one direction when it runs reads 240v opposite direction that hums reads 190v. I am at a complete lost any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
dr
dr  
see attached dwg which is for 6 leads.
your motor has 3. 1, 4 and 5
8 is internally connected to 2 and 3.

So follow the schematic for high voltage. with 1,4 5

You have identify which is 5 as that is the start winding which is interchanged with 1 and 4 which are the 2 run windings at 230V.

Electric Motors

Harcharan Singh Diocee