Electric Power & Utilities/replacing a boat lift motor

My AO Smith motor went out and I bought a Marathon to replace it. Both were 3/4 hp 220v and same rpm etc. The Marathon diagram has a J 10 black & T 4 yellow tied together and shows a hi volt line connection. Below that is a P 2 brown and it is marked "Tape". Next is a T 2 white,T 3 orange & T 8 red tied together. and last is P 1 purple and is also marked hi volt line. I have a red, black, orange, yellow and a green ground coming from a up down switch. Red is one hot side?,yellow was NOT used on the old motor. With the switch down,red & black are  hot, red & orange are NOT, but black and orange are hot. With switch in up position red & orange are hot,red & black are not but black & orange still hot. I have tried some different connections and most still throw the breaker. Any ideas?

If you can tell me what type of reversing switch you have, (make and model), I can draw you a diagram. The problem I have is not knowing where the wires coming from the switch are connected to the terminals on the switch itself. The only exception is foreign rotary switches, such as a Bremas. I have no information on how these switches make up.  

Electric Power & Utilities

Charles C. Jones

Let Me help you with your problems with single phase and three phase electric motors. I can tell you how to troubleshoot your motor problems. From simple testing of capacitors, how to test your windings, replacing bearings, and general maintenance. Before we go any further, remember these words of advice: Disconnect the power before you do anything! Please limit your questions to electric motors and there immediate components. I review each question, and if I can answer or help, then I will. If you receive a rejection, it means it is out of my expertise, and just do not have the answer. I'll be waiting for your question.

I have 40 years experience in the repair of electric motors and related equipment. I am a master machinist in the field of motor repair. I was employed with my company for 35 years, but retired in May of 2013. The downside to that is I lost access to a lot of technical data. I will still try to give you the most accurate advice that I can.

Former member EASA