Electric Power & Utilities/Question (previously answered) about Sears grinder.

Mark wrote at 2013-06-03 00:29:10
I did the same thing to my Craftsman 6" bench grinder (model 319.19062)and following the instructions given here I experienced the same results: It runs but has no power.  Being that I did completely disassemble the motor, I know that that is not necessary.  The problem is the original instructions.  They are helpful but inadequate.  

There are two windings in the motor and they are different sizes.  There are two red wires and two white wires going into the motor. One of the white and one of the red are joined to one end of the large winding.  Use a continuity tester to determine which ones.  Cap off that white one.  The red should be joined with the black from the capacitor to the power side of the switch.  The other white is connected only to the end of the small winding, it should be connected to the red wire from the capacitor. This provides power to both windings. The last red joins the other ends of both windings and should be attached to the common side of the switch.

The switch is a single throw, double pole type and should have a black and a white on the cord side.  The other side should have two black wires.  With the switch on, you can check for continuity to verify which black wire is the power and which is the common.  

I hooked mine up this way and it spun right up to full power.

Electric Power & Utilities

Charles C. Jones