Electric Power & Utilities/Range Oven 4 wire or change receptacle

Question
Hello Bob:
  I am am a landlord and trying to do a little work and have an electrician check it.  I have a tenant with a range that is a 3 prong 50amp 125/250 (looks like the 10-50R).

List of materials purchased:
50 amp Siemens Circuit Breaker
25 ft of 6/3 Aluminum wire
Staples
Cable Brackets
50amp 125/250V receptacle

I am aware that the code changed in 1999 requiring 4 wire, albeit after I purchased this stuff.  Would it be better for longevity to install 6/4 rather than the 6/3 and have the 3 prong range plug rewired?  Not even sure if you can install the 3wire, though it is an old house.

Answer
Reuben,

You only have to use the 4 wire hook up if your installing it new. In other words you never had it before. If you have an existing 3 wire hook up you can continue to use it. Is the 4 wire hook up better ? Yes. Should you change it ? Thats up to you.

Technically if you run a new line it should be inspected.

Bob

Electric Power & Utilities

PV Electric Bob Mossman