Electric Power & Utilities/Baldor L1408T electric motor

Question
QUESTION: I have a Baldor L1408T 3 HP 115/220 motor that the capacitors fell out of when the box was opened. It is an old motor and the numbers on the wires and caps are illegible. I can replace the caps from a local supply if I can determine the proper hookup. I am an electronic technician familiar with ac motor wiring and can probably figure out the wire leads, if I can establish the cap sizes this motor requires and a diagram.

I have the wiring diagram from Baldor's website but it does not show all three caps or identify the MFD sizes.

Can you help?

ANSWER: The start capacitors are 850-1050 mfd., 125 volt. The run capacitor is 30uf-370 volt.

QUESTION: I thank you for your response.

Is the MFD indicated for the start, the sum total of two caps in parallel and do I need to increase the working voltage on them for 220v operation?

Regards

Answer
That is the range for each capacitor. In a dual voltage motor, the start capacitors are always rated for the lower voltage, as the start windings are always connected for 115 volts, regardless of the motor voltage. It is safe to use a higher voltage on the run capacitor.  

Electric Power & Utilities

Charles C. Jones