Electric Power & Utilities/Wiring a 220 V single phase motor with Magnetic starter and reversing drum switch.

Question
Motor Name Plate
Motor Name Plate  
QUESTION: I have reviewed your previous answers, but could not find one that fit my circumstances.  I have a WEG single phase 220 Volt motor that I am trying to adapt to my lathe.  I want to include a magnetic starter and reversing drum switch.  The motor is 220 V only, not 110/220.  It has 4 motor leads in the connection box.  They are labeled 1,4,5 & 6.  Lead 5 comes off of two capacitors in the connection box.  I am using a Dayton Model # 2X443A reversing drum switch and an Allen Bradley Model 609-AAW size 0 three phase magnetic start switch with a start and stop button.

I have included a photo of the motor plate.  The reversing drum switch has a stop, forward and reverse position.  The drum switch has posts 1,3 & 5 down the left side and 2, 4 & 6 down the right side.  In the stop position all posts are separated.  In the forward position connections are made straight across, i.e. 1-2, 3-4 & 5-6.  In the reverse position connections are made 1-3, 2-4 & 5-6.

I would like to know where and how to wire the magnetic start switch and drum switch into the circuit.  

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

ANSWER: Before I answer your question, why do you want or need the starter? The switch you have is capable of handling the amperage of your motor. If you are wanting it to operate from the reversing switch, it can't be done, because the lines on the switch will always have power on them, and that is where your coil would need power from. You could use it for a master on/off switch, but the reversing switch will do that for you, or you could just turn off the breaker.

Now for your reversing switch, no problem there. For reference, your 220 volt lines are L1 and L2. Your motor leads are T1, T4, T8, T5. Your switch terminals are S1 through S6.

T5 to S1

L1,T4 to S3

L2,T1 to S2

T8 to S4

No leads connected to S5 or S6.

If you still want to use the starter, let me know how you want it to be used, coil voltage, and we will go from there.

QUESTION: Thank you for your help Charles.  I do not have a T8 in the control box for the motor.  The motor leads are not labeled with a T but simply 1, 4, 5 & 6 as shown on the motor plate picture.  I assumed that the T8 would be the 6 motor lead and hooked up the drum switch that way.  The motor will not start.  It just hums, even with the drum switch in the off position.  I have tried hooking up L1 to 1 & 5 and L2 to 4 & 6 without the drum switch and the motor runs.  When I switch 5 & 6, the motor reverses but only starts and runs without the drum switch.  I tested the leads 1 & 4 with an ohm meter and there appears to be continuity between the 2 wires.  When I hook the drum switch up the way you suggested, there is continuity between all 4 legs of the switch in either the forward and reverse positions and between 2 & 3 of the drum in the off position.  I don't know anything about motors, but it appears there may be a problem with continuity between the 1 & 4 motor leads.   Any additional thoughts you may have will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again, Jim

Answer
Well Jim, I made a mistake. When you said the motor hummed in the off position, that's when I looked again and saw what I did wrong. So I redone the connections, and made a drawing, here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charles_jones149/8677419309/

Even with my mistake, the motor should have ran in the forward and reverse positions. In reverse, L1,T4 and T5 are connected, L2,T1 and T8 (which is your number 6} are connected. In forward, L1, T4 and T8 are connected, L2, T1 and T8 are connected.

In off position, i did not let the circuit be disconnected, and this is where the hum came from. The new drawing corrects that mistake.

Sorry for the mistake, and let me know how it works.  

Electric Power & Utilities

Charles C. Jones