Electric Power & Utilities/Dayton Motor Wiring Help

I have a drain cleaning machine I picked up at an auction that is missing the switch. It has a Dayton 3/4 hp motor, model 4K783K, 115 or 208/230V. I bought a Gardner Bender on-off-on GSW-16 DPDT Toggle Switch. I am not sure this is the correct switch for this application though. When I received the machine, it was wired so that it had to be unplugged to turn it off, so I know the machine works.

I contacted the manufacturer of the drain machine to get a wiring diagram as I wasn't sure how it should be wired because the switch was missing. See attachment.

I wired it up as it is shown but it does not work. I have a feeling it is the wrong switch or the wiring needs to be changed to work with this switch.

Can you help me?

Your switch will not work. You need a 3P Triple throw. Here is a wiring diagram for 115 volts.

https://flic.kr/p/7KtChF   Wire the white from the foot switch to L1 on the rev switch, and white from the plug to L2 on the rev switch. Black from the plug remains as shown on the foot switch.  

Electric Power & Utilities

Charles C. Jones

Let Me help you with your problems with single phase and three phase electric motors. I can tell you how to troubleshoot your motor problems. From simple testing of capacitors, how to test your windings, replacing bearings, and general maintenance. Before we go any further, remember these words of advice: Disconnect the power before you do anything! Please limit your questions to electric motors and there immediate components. I review each question, and if I can answer or help, then I will. If you receive a rejection, it means it is out of my expertise, and just do not have the answer. I'll be waiting for your question.

I have 40 years experience in the repair of electric motors and related equipment. I am a master machinist in the field of motor repair. I was employed with my company for 35 years, but retired in May of 2013. The downside to that is I lost access to a lot of technical data. I will still try to give you the most accurate advice that I can.

Former member EASA