Electric Power & Utilities/Baldor Motor # JML1409T SINGLE PHASE

QUESTION: I have this motor installed on a pond pump, pumping up a steep hill. The 30 amp fuse on one side of the safety switch is blowing without the motor even trying to spin. The shaft is free and I tested continuity through both leads and it shows continuity. I checked each lead to ground and there is no grounding happening. Hopefully you can tell me what to look for next.I also cleaned the relay contacts that control the on and off of the pump. All seems good.

Thank you,

ANSWER: If you are using standard fuses, they cannot handle the in-rush current associated with start up. You will need a slow blow type. It is also possible you could have a turn to turn short in the windings, and this may not show up on a ground test. You should also check the capacitors.

QUESTION: Sorry to bother you again, but can you tell me how to check the capacitor. I was thinking the same thing. Also can you tell me how old the motor is by the spec. number? Here it is just in case 36K077W925G1

Thank you,

You will need a multi-meter that will display micro-farads. A general test can be done with a analog meter. SHORT THE CAP. ACROSS THE TERMINALS WITH A SCREWDRIVER! Set the meter to ohms, test between the two terminals. The needle should swing to the right, and slowly return to the left. This will only tell you it is not shorted, or open. It will not tell if it is weak. As for the spec. code, I no longer have access to that information.

Electric Power & Utilities

Charles C. Jones

Let Me help you with your problems with single phase and three phase electric motors. I can tell you how to troubleshoot your motor problems. From simple testing of capacitors, how to test your windings, replacing bearings, and general maintenance. Before we go any further, remember these words of advice: Disconnect the power before you do anything! Please limit your questions to electric motors and there immediate components. I review each question, and if I can answer or help, then I will. If you receive a rejection, it means it is out of my expertise, and just do not have the answer. I'll be waiting for your question.

I have 40 years experience in the repair of electric motors and related equipment. I am a master machinist in the field of motor repair. I was employed with my company for 35 years, but retired in May of 2013. The downside to that is I lost access to a lot of technical data. I will still try to give you the most accurate advice that I can.

Former member EASA