Electric Power & Utilities/Motor starts then stops then starts

Question
I have a 1/2 hp. 110/230 A.O. Jones motor for a hoist that did not run because of mud dobbers caked inside.  After taking the end bell off and vacuuming out all the dirt and reassembling it I can not get it to work normal.  If I connect the red and black leads to 110v and then spin the shaft, it starts to run until it gets to full speed then the centrifugal switch kicks out and it slows down then starts again when the switch kicks in again.  The starting cap is good. Any ideas?

Answer
That is a indication of a open circuit in the run winding. This could be in the winding itself, loose wire, or contactor not making up. There is suppose to be a schematic drawing inside the cover, so you can check the correct wiring. Trouble shooting these things can be a pain in the a$$. I recommend you have a service center have a look at it.

Electric Power & Utilities

Charles C. Jones