Electrical Engineering/New wall outlet in room

Question
Dear experts,

I am a DIYer and love to learn new things. Therefore I am seriously considering doing some basic electrical work myself. I took some basic electrical classes a very long time ago in HS so I understand some principles.

To get to the point: I have a decent size closet that I'd like to convert to a small home office. The bad news is that there is no power outlets in that room so I'd like to add a couple. The office equipment I'm likely to run would be:

- One Macbook Pro laptop (1.5 amps)
- One 27" LCD monitor (1.0 amps)
- One old Mac desktop (< 3 amps)
- One Windows desktop PC (< 4 amps)
- Six full size external firewire or USB hard disk drives (Aprox. 9 amps total)
- A set of BOSE computer speakers (1.5 amps)
- An all-in-one inkjet printer (0.8 amps)
- A desk lamp (0.5 amps)

Adding all amperages above totals to 21.3 amps. However, I will very rarely (or probably never) run all this equipment at the same time.

I'm considering one of the following two options:

a) Tap into the nearest existing outlet (which is just across the hall) and run electrical cable up to the attic and then down again into the proposed office. This candidate outlet is running off a 15 amp breaker but it already is powering the 3 hall wall outlets, 4 hall lights and the closet light itself.

b) Install a new breaker at the breaker box and run a new circuit for the new desired outlets.

From what I've gathered during my research, it seems to me that it's not a good idea to tap into that nearby hall outlet since it is already running a lot of outlets and lights. Not to mention that this is where the vacuum cleaner is normally plugged in (which itself is rated at 10 amps!)

If my assumption of going with option (b) above is correct, can someone please tell me what gauge wire I should use and what amperage should the proposed new breaker be?

In case it matters, I live in Houston and am not sure what the electrical codes are.

BTW: I promise I will kill the MAIN switch when installing that new breaker

Answer
1. Make sure that you follow all electrical codes.
2. When installing the new breaker, it would normally be 15A (some codes may allow 20A, but 15A is sufficient for your requirement).
3. Some codes may allow 14 gauge wire for 15A, but it would be better to use 12 gauge wire.
4. Switches and sockets sometimes have a slot or hole into which you just push the stripped wire.  But I have repaired many of such terminals due to poor contact.  It is much more reliable to use the screw terminals that are also supplied.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Electrical Engineering

Dave Nyce