Electrical Engineering/Tri color LED question

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
Can you please help me on how I can construct circuit a) using the LED in b).
Circuit a) uses head to tail diodes while b) uses head to head and that is the problem.
This is taken from my lab book.
Thank you !

http://i45.tinypic.com/6jotqt.png

ANSWER: Connect the center tap of the LEDs (cathodes) to the battery negative.  You will need two resistors: connect one resistor from battery positive to the anode of one LED. Connect the other resistor from battery positive to the anode of the other LED.

Hope this helps!

Dave

QUESTION: But this will light up both LEDs and it's not a polarity indicator...
Can you please compare with figure a) again ?

Answer
I didn't know you wanted it to be a polarity indicator.  Run the anode of each LED directly to the left in your original sketch, (one to each of the input terminals).  Connect the right side of the resistor to the common cathode of the LEDs.  Connect the left side of the resistor to the anodes of two diodes (like 1N4001).  Connect the cathode of one diode to the upper input terminal, and the cathode of the other diode to the lower input terminal.

The diodes steer which LED will be lighted.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Electrical Engineering

Dave Nyce