Electrical Engineering/50 Hz to 60 Hz converter

I recently bought an SK61 radiogram (a Dieter Rams design which I love) via London eBay, but am not able to use the phonograph portion of the piece in that it runs 50Hz and I need to convert it to 60Hz to play my many record albums. So far I've not had luck locating what it is I need to assist with this conversion. Any assist on your end? If so, I'd be eternally grateful.

I am hoping whatever it is it's not too costly. Maybe get if off eBay?

You're sort of out of luck. It uses a synchronous motor. Either you have to change it to a 60hz motor or change our 60hz power to 50hz. To do the latter would require changing to DC and then use a 60 hz inverter. That would probably require too much effort and money.

Electrical Engineering

Dave Nyce

I have been an electronics engineer for many years. I can answer questions on analog and digital circuits and my specialty is sensors.

I am the inventor on 27 US patents, and also some foreign ones. Developed sensors for many years. Licensed private pilot (airplane and rotorcraft), have HAM radio license. I'm not an expert in computer networking.

AAAS, Certified Control Engineer, (former UL Advisor for Intrinsic Safety), Benefactor member of NRA. Life member of the following: Experimental Aircraft Assoc., US Parachute Assoc., National Trapper's Assoc., Apex Masonic Lodge #584, Scottish Rite of Raleigh, NC, Academy of Model Aeronautics, Grass Roots North Carolina, NC Rifle & Pistol Assoc. Member of the following: Aircraft Owners & Pilots Assoc., US Hang Gliding & Paragliding Assoc., Tripoli Rocketry Assoc., Apex Historical Society, The Planetary Society, USA Volleyball, Shriners of North America, York Rite Masons, National Space Society, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and the Precision Aerobatics Model Pilots' Assoc.

Books: "Magnetic Displacement Sensors" section in: Measurement, Instrumentation, and Sensors Handbook, CRC Press, 1999. ISBN 0-8493-8347-1; "Magnetostrictive Sensors", "Hall Effect Position Transducers", & "Strain Gage Accelerometers" in: Instrumentation and Control, a Mechatronics Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. NYP; “Magnetic Level Gauges” chapter in: Instrument Engineers’ Handbook - Measurement & Analysis, 4’th Edition, CRC Press, 2003; Author of the book “Linear Position Sensors, Theory & Application”, John Wiley & Sons, 2004; “Electronic Transmitters”, “Linear & Angular Positioning of Machinery”, and “Inerting Systems” sections in: “Instrumentation Engineers’ Handbook – Process Control, 4’th edition, (2005); “Hazardous area classification and management”, and “HART Networks” sections in the book: “Instrumentation Engineers’ Handbook – Digital Process Networks and Software, 4’th edition, publication in 2011 Magazines: Magnetostriction-Based Linear Position Sensors, SENSORS magazine, April, 1994: Tank Gauging Advances, Fuel Technology & Management, January, 1997: Magnetostrictive Position Sensors, Measurements and Control, September, 1998; A Moment in Positioning, PTDesign, February, 1999; Magnetostrictive Position Sensors (update), Measurements & Control, September, 1999; Position Sensors for Hydraulic Cylinders, Hydraulics & Pneumatics, November, 2000; Magnetostrictive Linear Position Sensors, Fluid Power Journal, April, 1999; Sizing & Applying Magnetostrictive Linear Position Sensors, Motion Systems, Feb., 2002; Position Sensors in Medical Applications, ECN, May 15, 2002; Featured in “Level Sensors Go Floatless”, Machine Design, May 8, 2003; "Guitar Man" feature article, The Pelican Post, Oak Island Press, Oak Is., NC, Winter 2005; The LVDT: A Simple and Accurate Position Sensor, SENSORS magazine, August, 2005; "Model Airplane Day!", FLYING MODELS magazine, September, 2006; “Kids Having Fun!”, Half-A Flyer magazine, January, 2012

BSEE, MBA, Management by Objectives - Honeywell, Total Quality Management - MTS Systems Corporation, Looking Glass Management Workshop - Center for Creative Leadership, Motion Control Systems - Western Michigan University, College of Engineering, Organizational Excellence - University of Cleveland, Finance for Executives - Sloan School of Business, MIT.

Vaaler award, EDN magazine, "Inerting for Safety", 1987 Listed in Who's Who in Engineering, in the South, in the World. "Total Quality Management" medal awarded by MTS Systems Corporation 1991 "Best Sequel" award for the video production: "For Engineers Only" at the MTS national sales meeting, Las Vegas, 1998 (written and directed by David S. Nyce) Voted "Most Effective Leader" at Center for Creative Leadership: Looking Glass, Greensboro, NC 1995 Silver Award for New Technology at SENSORS EXPO, in Chicago, 2001 for SEF Liquid Level sensor MTS Circle of Innovators award, 2003 Elected Master of Masonic Lodge #584 , Apex, NC, 2005 "Gold Honour Award" for outstanding service in York Rite Masonry, by the York Rite Sovereign College of North America, August 22. 2007 Board of Directors: WaaRev Sensors, and the Apex Historical Society Maynard Pearson House Plaque hanging in the Masonic Fellowship Hall, for Outstanding Service and Dedication to Apex Masonic Lodge #584, Apex, NC