Electrical Engineering/Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and Compressed natural gas (CNG).

Dear Prof Cleggsan

LPG is used in domestic household for cooking purposes. They are available in the form of Pipeline and Gas Cylinders to consumers.

CNG is used as a fuel for driving Automobiles viz cars, buses, trucks etc. The CNG are available and filled by automobile drivers at Fuel filling stations viz Petrol, Diesel, Gas etc

I would like to know the following information from your end.

In case LPG is experimented to use as a fuel for automobiles
and CNG is experimented to use as a fuel for cooking purposes
what will be the effects ?.

then the automobile will not start because the engine expects CNG
or the automobile will start but it will not give the desired speed, mileage etc ?.

In case CNG is experimented to use as a fuel for cooking purposes
then the consumer will not be able to cook food, boiling water, milk etc ?.

What will be the effects if they are tried alternatively for different purposes ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

This is a simple question but it has a very complicated answer.

It turns out their are many variations of each CNG type and LPG type or fuel.

You can google for the differences and find many web pages devoted to these differences.  The best I found was from Australia which uses the many types of fuels derived from the raw ingredients.  Please study this web:

Energy content differences and delivery/storage methods differ greatly.  Therefore, it is quite difficult to make direct comparisons of one fuel vs another.

Not being an expert in this field I caution you to seek more reliable information but my understanding is that to use the fuels interchangeably would require some modification to the burning engine which will allow for the energy differences and state of gas (liquid or various gaseous states) to gain the most efficient performance from each fuel system.

I believe you will need to study in more detail to make reliable conclusions about your question.  

Hope this helps.  But please consult with other experts for further opinions.

PS: Here are some further readings for your consideration.  

Electrical Engineering

All technical areas of Electronics Engineering.

BSEE, MBA, Design, R&D, University Research.
Senior Life Member of IEEE. Life Fellow of AES.

IEEE, Consumer Electronics Society, Audio Engineering Society.
Broad teaching experience; work experience mostly in consumer electronics and conversion from analog to digital technologies. Pioneer in digital audio at all levels.

BSEE (Equiv) BYU BSEE University of North Dakota MSBA (MBA) Illinois State University Graduate Studies in Computer Science - Bradley University Graduate Studies - Ohio University Graduate Studies - University of Missouri Kansas City DeVry Tech - Electronics