Electrical Engineering/how to

Question
Basic 4 to 20ma circuit with plc for power, level transmitter, to analog input card. Were in this circuit can I put a chart recorder and get a full 4 to 20 signal and not just half of the signal.Or what should I do. The chart recorder is 4 to 20 acceptable. I only get half of the signal when connecting between transmitter and card.

Answer
The three loop devices (level transmitter, analog input card, recorder) must all be wired in series. Typical loop-powered devices for use in a 4-20 mA loop (i.e. the input card and the recorder) have a 250 ohms resistor in the loop, and they measure 1 to 5 volts that develops across the resistor.  So, if you are using two such devices in the loop, they are adding 500 ohms.  The recorder may have a specified voltage drop in addition to that.  The amount of loop resistance that your level transmitter can drive depends on its specification and on the power supply voltage.  So, assuming that your devices are all connected in series, you may need to increase the power supply voltage.  If that is not possible, then a loop repeater may be installed.  That will receive its own power, while inserting only a minimal loop resistance, and then repeat the loop current with a greater voltage capability to drive your recorder.  It will be wired in series into the loop with the transmitter and input card, and its output will drive the recorder.

But maybe you wired the analog input and recorder in parallel?  If so, change that to a series connection.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Electrical Engineering

Dave Nyce