Electrical Engineering/B Field

Hi Cleggsan,

I have this large-long-conductive wire and I wind it like a solenoid around the earth.And I connect  a giant Galvanometer..what would I see? The earth is rotating..on its surface the magnetic field is static...but now I have a huge STATIONARY coil ..relative to the earth's B field.. which is rotating.. what perturbations in the galvanometer would see? I guess a steady DC current?  Thanks!

My guess is you would see some perturbations caused by changes in the earths steadiness during rotation and weather influences plus sun spot activity that may effect the readings.  And, the earth puts out a lot of low frequency rumblings that would probably cause noise spikes and voltage changes.  Lots of electro-magnetic noises out there.

You should ask other experts for their opinion. It is an interesting question.

Electrical Engineering

All technical areas of Electronics Engineering.

BSEE, MBA, Design, R&D, University Research.
Senior Life Member of IEEE. Life Fellow of AES.

IEEE, Consumer Electronics Society, Audio Engineering Society.
Broad teaching experience; work experience mostly in consumer electronics and conversion from analog to digital technologies. Pioneer in digital audio at all levels.

BSEE (Equiv) BYU BSEE University of North Dakota MSBA (MBA) Illinois State University Graduate Studies in Computer Science - Bradley University Graduate Studies - Ohio University Graduate Studies - University of Missouri Kansas City DeVry Tech - Electronics