Electrical Engineering/B Field

Question
Hi Cleggsan,

I have this large-long-conductive wire and I wind it like a solenoid around the earth.And I connect  a giant Galvanometer..what would I see? The earth is rotating..on its surface the magnetic field is static...but now I have a huge STATIONARY coil ..relative to the earth's B field.. which is rotating.. what perturbations in the galvanometer would see? I guess a steady DC current?  Thanks!

Answer
My guess is you would see some perturbations caused by changes in the earths steadiness during rotation and weather influences plus sun spot activity that may effect the readings.  And, the earth puts out a lot of low frequency rumblings that would probably cause noise spikes and voltage changes.  Lots of electro-magnetic noises out there.

You should ask other experts for their opinion. It is an interesting question.

Bye.  

Electrical Engineering

cleggsan