Electrical Engineering/Biometrics Systems.

QUESTION: Dear Cleggsan

Do you feel the Social Security Number (Card) could be useful in redesigning with adding Biometric identifiers as part of Security measures counterfeiting Identity thefts ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: It may help.  The last web link you gave http://biometrics.cse.msu.edu/ states the case quite well of the limitations of its security features and difficulty in choosing good biometric data, etc.  But, the real limitation is that most ID thieves do not need the card because getting into credit card and bank files us done by just using the number.  For example, in the USA - and I think as well in other countries - a SS card is rarely presented; just the number is given.

However, there is likely a greater need for enhanced security and ID theft prevention with credit cards - which are used constantly in making financial transactions.  Japan is a leader in secure ID information integrated into the card.  The RFID chip is being used for card identity for example.  And there are other smartcard implementations that you should look at.

The above is good reading for these ideas.

My conclusion about enhanced SS card security is this:  Greater security in order to prevent illegal usage is a high priority for most governments.  Achieving it involved numerous changes to government policy, improved methods of issuing them to citizens, ability to have ones SS Number revised (for those who have had their SS Number compromised), reading devices that are more user friendly and early methods of tempering.  A biometrics could be one of several improvements in a comprehensive overhaul of current systems being used in the world today.

Hope my opinions are of help to you.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Other than facial, fingerprints, iris (eye), vein uniqueness, Can we also consider footprints unique from person to person as Biometric
identifiers ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: I am not an expert in the unique characteristics of the human foot but I see no reason why it could not be of use in identifying human uniqueness.

Why do you ask?  

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Thank you.

identifiers ?.

The reason for asking this question was if footprints of every person vary from person to person (unique) it can be considered as a valid Biometric identifier and along with fingerprints, voice, face, iris, vein, signature
in future forensic science and Biometrics science research.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Yes, I understand the question and if footprints are unique it would pass the test.  But, I was unable to find any studies or claims as to whether footprints would qualify as unique.

As an example, it is possible that two individuals purchased shoes of the same size and model; would they have differing footprints?  

Some claim that footprints are as unique as fingerprints; however, there are forensic scientist who disagree with that claim.  I have found no definitive answer.

Wishing you well with your forensic project!  

Electrical Engineering

All technical areas of Electronics Engineering.

BSEE, MBA, Design, R&D, University Research.
Senior Life Member of IEEE. Life Fellow of AES.

IEEE, Consumer Electronics Society, Audio Engineering Society.
Broad teaching experience; work experience mostly in consumer electronics and conversion from analog to digital technologies. Pioneer in digital audio at all levels.

BSEE (Equiv) BYU BSEE University of North Dakota MSBA (MBA) Illinois State University Graduate Studies in Computer Science - Bradley University Graduate Studies - Ohio University Graduate Studies - University of Missouri Kansas City DeVry Tech - Electronics