Electrical Engineering/Train Toy Design.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Is the following Train Toy Design from my side feasible to be constructed/manufactured ?.

1. Circular Track i.e. Concentric Circles. Two large concentric circles having larger radius. A Single Train running on the Circular Track. i.e. on the Two concentric circles. The circles having five points namely Station Point A, Station Point B, Station Point C, Station Point D, Station Point E which are equidistant placed on the concentric circles.

2. Electric - Batteries Operated Train.

3. Remote control accessory. The Remote control will have four buttons namely Program 1, Program 2, Start, Stop.

4.Operation :

User clicks on the Start Button. On clicking on Start Button, the Train will move to Station Point A.
By clicking on Program 1 button on the remote control, The Train will start from Station Point A, travel to Station Point B wait for 1/2 a minute (30 seconds), then travel to Station Point C wait for
1/2 a minute (30 seconds), then travel to Station Point D wait for
1/2 a minute (30 seconds), then travel to Station Point E wait for 1/2 a minute (30 seconds), then travel to Station Point A. This will complete one revolution. Unless and Until the User doesn't press the Stop Button on the remote control, the train will continue its circular motion. As soon as the User presses the Stop Button, the Train wherever it was on the circular track will move to Station Point A.

5.Operation :

By clicking on Program 2 button on the remote control, The Train will start from Station Point A and continue its motion without halting at Station Point B, Station Point C, Station Point D, Station Point E and Station Point A. Unless and Until the User doesn't press the Stop Button on the remote control, the train will continue its circular motion. As soon as the User presses the Stop Button, the Train wherever it was on the circular track will move to Station Point A.

Regarding the above design, would you like to add more for functionality viz adding traffic signals, different geometrical shape than circular track, musical sound played when train in motion etc ?  

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Sorry, I am not an expert for toy trains so my opinion maybe not so important.

However, I have seen train sets very similar to the one you are describing at the Aki Abhara in Tokyo a few years ago.

The toy train market is highly segmented and it is crowded with all kinds of interesting makers and models and price points.  

I suggest you investigate the current world market first to find out what the trend is.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Thank you.

Is it possible also to program and alter the train speed in meters/second
within the Train Toy Design ?

i.e. On the remote control accessory, i fixed control buttons for altering the speed as 10 meter/second, 20 meter/second, 30 meter/second, 40 meter/second etc. That way the speed of the train will vary.

At 40 meter/second speed, the train will be running at the maximum speed and at 10 meter/second speed, the speed will be the lowest.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Speed control by wireless remote or wired remote have been on the market for many years.

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200841783&gclid=CMmo9dWEvLYCFWfhQgo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_model_railway_control_systems

http://modeltraingauges.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/model-train-speed-controller-ho

Happy hunting.  

Electrical Engineering

cleggsan