Electrical Engineering/ATM Machine for sending / receiving SMS and Email.

Cell Phone Keypad.
Cell Phone Keypad.  
ATM Keypad.
ATM Keypad.  
QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan‎‎‎

1. Are sending / receiving SMS and sending / receiving Emails could be useful functions / features integrated in Automated teller machines ?.

2. Technically for the above functions/features to work, will the following changes mentioned below to be incorporated in the ATM device ?

a. ATM Keypad to be changed , similar to a Cell Phone Device keypad
accepting numbers, characters (upper,lower case), special characters, symbols for sending / receiving SMS and Emails.

b. ATM processors (electronic circuits hardware) integration/modification dedicated for carrying out those above functions.

c. ATM software menu changes for implementing those functions/features.

3. The 4 digit pin number can also be replaced now by adding a strong alphanumeric password of 6-8 characters by ATM debit card holder. Could this be a useful function ?.

4. The ATM manufacturers collaborating with Mobile Network Operators to achieve the above functionality could be useful
in this context ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: It would be an interesting question for market research project.

In my opinion the use by ATM customers would not be of interest to them.  The penetration of mobile phones, ipads, androids are too high for a market to develop, perhaps.

That's my opinion.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Thank you.‎‎‎

The ATM Debit Card user will be able to use this features only if he/she is authenticated by the System. i.e. Correct Pin inserted and he/she is a valid account holder of the Bank.

The Cell Phone / Smart Phone Number and Email address is registered by the Bank account holder when opening a savings/corporate account with the Bank.

The ATM Debit Card which authenticates with the 4 digit pin number
will also hold the cell number information of the ATM Debit card holder connecting to the Bank for performing transactions. Additional features
of SMS Inbox/Outbox and Email Inbox/Outbox, features for sending/receiving
SMS and Email will be integrated in the ATM device.

Technically the system can be feasible to develop. Isn't it ?.

The ATM manufacturers collaborating with Mobile Network Operators and Internet Service Providers to achieve the above functionality could be useful in this context ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Sorry, but I am still negative on the idea.  And, security is a big factor with ATM machines.  I think it is a bad idea.  My opinion.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Thank you.‎

Once the ATM is exposed to the internet via a public IP address for email
services (using SMTP,POP protocols) i.e. for sending and receiving emails, only the following email server sites will be accessed to the valid ATM debit card user. Browser application will be part of the ATM machine.

i.e. All other web sites will be blocked except email servers sites.
Internet security of the highest level in the form of firewall implementation, anti virus software etc will be added to the ATM
machine for preventing attacks from Hackers, viruses etc.

A maximum of 10 minutes will be given to the ATM debit card user for financial transactions, sending/receiving email, sending SMS, checking SMS
Inbox. After 10 minutes the ATM system will automatically log out the
ATM debit card user.

The SMS received by the ATM device will be in silent mode unlike the SMS
received in the form of ring tone/s in a cellphone/smartphone device.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Security is still big issue as email server sites are often broken into and secure connections are easily hacked by hackers.  Public mistrust for email security is growing all over the world.  Also, keeping spam and junk mail out which sometimes carry infected attachments are very common now days......

I am still very pessimistic about your proposal - both from a business point of view as well as the security problems.

Electrical Engineering

All technical areas of Electronics Engineering.

BSEE, MBA, Design, R&D, University Research.
Senior Life Member of IEEE. Life Fellow of AES.

IEEE, Consumer Electronics Society, Audio Engineering Society.
Broad teaching experience; work experience mostly in consumer electronics and conversion from analog to digital technologies. Pioneer in digital audio at all levels.

BSEE (Equiv) BYU BSEE University of North Dakota MSBA (MBA) Illinois State University Graduate Studies in Computer Science - Bradley University Graduate Studies - Ohio University Graduate Studies - University of Missouri Kansas City DeVry Tech - Electronics