Electrical Engineering/Microscope interfacing with Computer.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan‎‎‎

Is it possible to design and develop software applications (image processing) for the pathology lab which takes samples viz blood, urine, stool, sputum, sperm etc as input images captured by the Digital/Electron microscope and depending upon every image captured digitally, the output is generated i.e. reports for the readings count and its ranges.

The process will be automated as only the specimen slides are to be inserted in the microscope device for microscopic observations.
The Image processing Software application will generate the reports along with the Image captured taken on the printer output device.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: How about this:

I think it will do what you are proposing.

Here is another solution:

There are many other interface with computer and microscope that are easily found on google or bing.

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Thank you.

Can Matlab software help me in this regard ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

I suppose MatLab could be used if you are writing a very basic and low level program.

However, in most cases the microscope is interfaced with USB functionality and generic drivers are connected to the video or image display devices.

So, it depends on how sophisticated and what unique functions you may want.  But, a starting point would be pretty much off the shelf or share-ware soft works.

That is my opinion about it.  

Electrical Engineering

All technical areas of Electronics Engineering.

BSEE, MBA, Design, R&D, University Research.
Senior Life Member of IEEE. Life Fellow of AES.

IEEE, Consumer Electronics Society, Audio Engineering Society.
Broad teaching experience; work experience mostly in consumer electronics and conversion from analog to digital technologies. Pioneer in digital audio at all levels.

BSEE (Equiv) BYU BSEE University of North Dakota MSBA (MBA) Illinois State University Graduate Studies in Computer Science - Bradley University Graduate Studies - Ohio University Graduate Studies - University of Missouri Kansas City DeVry Tech - Electronics